Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Re posting. Calibrate your BGE thermometer

Options
jdMyers
jdMyers Posts: 1,336
For those that need to do it b4 Thanksgiving 

https://youtu.be/7Ga8vAsYGaY
Columbus, Ohio

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited November 2020
    Options
    For any eggers out there that live significantly above sea level (or below, math still works by adding a degree):

As atmospheric pressure decreases, water boils at lower temperatures. At sea level, water boils at 212 °F. With each 500-feet increase in elevation, the boiling point of water is lowered by just under 1 °F. At 7,500 feet, for example, water boils at about 198 °F.

Options
    Find your altitude...instructions here.

Options
    You can't boil water on an Egg!  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Being pedantic, your are actually rezeroing (setting the zero offset) and not calibrating.  You can not adjust the sensitivity or gain of the thermometer.

Thank you for posting though, this is something I usually overlook till a cook goes sideways.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    For those interested here is an interesting bit of information. Atmospheric pressure also directly impacts the clinch or squeeze pressure of the sphincter. Granted it is minimal, but detectable nonetheless.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    SGH said:
    For those interested here is an interesting bit of information. Atmospheric pressure also directly impacts the clinch or squeeze pressure of the sphincter. Granted it is minimal, but detectable nonetheless.  
    I'm not sure @SGH "seal of approval" means what we all thought it meant. 🤔
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    However you can achieve it (one point check or measured across a thermal spectrum) you should have faith in your indications, BGE dome thermo or some assembled rigs.  That's how you manage the cook, especially low and slow or any that require time at temperature.
    No need to worry if caveman is the style of choice.   B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.