Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

oyster bed

Options
been wanting to pull the trigger on one of these for a while since I been wanting to do some oysters on the egg for some time. Was looking at the different models and went with the Le Grande thinking I would want to cook more the 6 oysters and the Le Grande held 12. As soon as it arrived I opened the box it is a beautiful piece of cookware I ran outside to see how it looks on the egg .....Shame on me I should have measured because it does not fit in the large BGE.
buying an extra large egg is not a option, but I will be using the oyster bed in both the oven and might try it over the fire pit.

Cary NC

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,105
    Options
    Can you just cook it raised to felt level and lid open?
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options

jad said:
    been wanting to pull the trigger on one of these for a while since I been wanting to do some oysters on the egg for some time. Was looking at the different models and went with the Le Grande thinking I would want to cook more the 6 oysters and the Le Grande held 12. As soon as it arrived I opened the box it is a beautiful piece of cookware I ran outside to see how it looks on the egg .....Shame on me I should have measured because it does not fit in the large BGE.
    buying an extra large egg is not a option, but I will be using the oyster bed in both the oven and might try it over the fire pit.

No need to overthink it. Cast iron or stainless steel platter with rock salt makes a great bed for the morsels of joy. 

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    eat them raw like god intended and problem solved!
    Options
    Loved raw oysters until I spent one Christmas eve puking in a cul-de-sac while watching my family enjoying Christmas with friends through a large front window.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    All you need is a grid and fire. Said the guy who's never done this.

Dragos...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Dp4z3w-AIc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y06JMupjtw4

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I really like their products. Yes, the Grande is large. But I also have the XL.
    If you get a chance try the Le Petite or The Stella. You can easily put more than one oyster in each spot unless you have really large oysters. The rounder shape of the Stella is perfect for the large Egg but the Stella is easier to handle hot. And it will be very hot off the Egg.
    The Grange should be great in your oven, even using broiler.
    I have used them in my Ooni Pizza oven and it works great. Have used The Steak Bed plate to sear and cook steaks on the Ooni as well.
    I know every true cajun would rather have fresh shucked but it's just not as easy to find good, fresh oysters in the shell. And lets face it, it is a labor of love store them, shuck and clean up. But I can normally find a good quart of shucked. And they will stay good for a few days after opened so I can enjoy for more than one day. Their seasoning butter mix is also great.
    I also enjoyed watching their family story videos on their site.
    They have some discount codes on the Conservation page.
    https://www.theoysterbed.com/pages/friends

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Loved raw oysters until I spent one Christmas eve puking in a cul-de-sac while watching my family enjoying Christmas with friends through a large front window.
    Don't blame the oyster, blame the sick person who dropped a deuce off a boat or in a camp without proper septic disposal.
    Options
    Whats your thoughts on grilled grocery store oysters? I love them out at restaurants that specifically ship them in (not in my area). I would love to make some at home but am a bit nervous. I do live in the middle of nowhere pretty much equal distance to either ocean. At the store I usually see them in a box which has the harvested date and use by date. These are from what i've seen a month apart. freshest I have seen so far has been 2 weeks from harvest. Should I even bother with these?
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    poster said:
    Whats your thoughts on grilled grocery store oysters? I love them out at restaurants that specifically ship them in (not in my area). I would love to make some at home but am a bit nervous. I do live in the middle of nowhere pretty much equal distance to either ocean. At the store I usually see them in a box which has the harvested date and use by date. These are from what i've seen a month apart. freshest I have seen so far has been 2 weeks from harvest. Should I even bother with these?

Those are pasteurized.  I don't like them for raw but if you're grilling them or making chowder they are fine as they're cooked anyway.
    Options
    poster said:

Those are pasteurized.  I don't like them for raw but if you're grilling them or making chowder they are fine as they're cooked anyway.

Upside down , but these are pastureized?
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @jad
    I don’t know if this is any help to you or not, but it will fit on a Weber kettle. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Regarding "fresh" oysters in fly over country, I get them from a very reputable (by my standards...) seafood store.  Pay a premium and then shuck, grill and enjoy.  I have also bought them fresh from a local Kroger and they were fine.
    FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    poster said:
    poster said:

Upside down , but these are pastureized?
    If they don't say they are, they probably aren't.  I buy a lot of oysters and I have a hard time keeping them alive after three weeks from harvest.  So I'll shuck them and cook at that point.
    Options
    Come to think of it, the pasteurization probably doesn't extend shelf life.  I think it might be more for safety.  I don't pay much attention to that as I can buy local right from the dock here.
    I'm very fortunate to live within 30 minutes of public oyster beds.  It's work but it's rewarding to dig through the mud and pick up your own oysters.  I know for certain how fresh mine are.  Sometimes we'll put a bucket with a damp towel over them in the fridge for a day or two and to me they're better that way than the day we pick them up.  
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    I will give the above ones a shot. Since i'm not going to have them raw, the worst is a crappy tasting oyster.... i hope.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I'm very fortunate to live within 30 minutes of public oyster beds.  It's work but it's rewarding to dig through the mud and pick up your own oysters.  I know for certain how fresh mine are.  Sometimes we'll put a bucket with a damp towel over them in the fridge for a day or two and to me they're better that way than the day we pick them up.  
    Ahhhhaaa....coastal SC. Gods country right there. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • JethroBodeen
    Options
    Woo weee! for the price of that thing. Ill keep cooking oysters on the grate, sheet of steel, cast iron etc.
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    SciAggie said:

Is that a bed of salt they are sitting on?
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I like them raw, fried, baked, stewed, poached and broiled. But you got to admit there is something special about properly prepared chargrilled oysters. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Is that a bed of salt they are sitting on?
    Yes sir. I find it works well. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Woo weee! for the price of that thing. Ill keep cooking oysters on the grate, sheet of steel, cast iron etc.
    I thought the same thing at first.
    But sometimes it’s nice not having to mess with the shucking. The Oyster Bed trays are designed to be used with shucked oysters. It’s a quality made product that is very durable, cleans easy, can handle direct flames and never has to be seasoned.
    Also great for sautéed shrimp or crab cakes. 
    Hard to beat the presentation and experience of cooking fresh shucked but it’s not always easy finding them. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas