Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - A Blustery Fall Day

Options
CTMike
CTMike Posts: 3,247
edited November 2020 in EggHead Forum
What better way to spend it than doing some outside clean up and getting my stick burner fix in:

I also picked up this 8’ SS table for a steal:

The tables sides will get wrapped with cement board and covered in veneer stone to match the oven surround. 
MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
Southeastern CT. 

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Looking forward to the pies!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • CTMike
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Thanks John - I’m using Forkish’s “I slept in but still want pizza tonight” dough recipe. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    Options
    Well unfortunately the pies weren’t photo worthy - in all honesty they were a mess, couldn’t launch them off the peel tonight for some reason.

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Well unfortunately the pies weren’t photo worthy - in all honesty they were a mess, couldn’t launch them off the peel tonight for some reason.

That’s hot!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • CTMike
    edited November 2020
    Options
    CTMike said:

That’s hot!
    Dome was around 1,250 F, thermometer embedded in the dome was reading 750 F. Now I know why the crust burns so easily on pizzeria purchased dough (contains sugar) when the dome thermometer is reading 550 F. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Wooden peel works best to launch.  If the peel was warm from previous pies it may be the cause. All pies are photo worthy!

Options
    paqman said:
    Wooden peel works best to launch.  If the peel was warm from previous pies it may be the cause. All pies are photo worthy!
    I hadn’t thought of that - but now that I think about it, Frank Pepe’s in New Haven uses wooden peels to launch, metal for retrieval. Thanks for the tip.

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CornfedMA
    Options
    I’ll 2nd that. I’ve successfully launched pies off a metal peel but it required a lot of extra flour on the peel. To the point that it affected the texture of the crust. Went to wood and never looked back. Still use the metal to pull them though. 

I’m a big fan of the Forkish recipes. The one you used has bailed me out on many Sunday mornings. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Looks like you had yourself a mighty fine day. Best part of your day was likely the SA Octoberfest. I have a few residing in my frig for special drankin.......always look forward to that release. Cheers Mike.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow