Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best temp regulator?

Options
So my old CyberQ finally died an honorable death. 

I’m starting to investigate my new one.  

I’ve obviously had good experiences with BBQ Guru so I’m considering the Dyna Q 
I also like the idea of not having a separate control unit so I’m thinking Egg Genius. 

Ive read mixed reviews about the EG App so I’m curious if that got any better.  

Any thoughts on this or suggestions?

Answers

• 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    Love the Egg Genius.  I’m not aware of any issues with the app.  Works well for me.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • brentm
    brentm Posts: 422
    Options
    What's an honorable death for an atc look like?

I'd check out SmoBot.  If I were in the market for a new controller, I'd definitely give passive draft control a close look.  Their hardware is well thought out.  Hard to find an unhappy customer of theirs.  
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I am a fan of Smobot and Flameboss.  Both work really well and customer service is great too.

Smobot has the advantage of being able to run with a battery pack.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    I am a fan of Smobot and Flameboss.  Both work really well and customer service is great too.

Flame Boss Battery Pack 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    lkapigian said:

Flame Boss Battery Pack 
    Very cool!  Didn't even know that existed.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    Yes, I have basically the same battery pack for the Egg Genius.  I’ve used it over 13 hours and still had charge left.
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I have had the Flame Boss 200 for years now, always works great.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • brentm
    edited November 2020
    Options
    You guys should just use your drill platform for battery-ness.  You can purchase a little adapter that fits on the top of your rechargeable battery platform.  

https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_40&products_id=741

That's for Dewalt.  Nice because you get both +5 and +12.  I assume both FB and Smobot are +12.

Makita would be two parts to get to +12v.

https://www.amazon.com/Makita-ADP05-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Source/dp/B019WI5XXO

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073N17HMZ

• treydesean
    Options
    Thanks everyone.  I’ll tell you, the SMOBOT is really catching my eye. It’s a touch decision.  
  • brentm
    Options
    brentm said:
    What's an honorable death for an atc look like?

I'd check out SmoBot.  If I were in the market for a new controller, I'd definitely give passive draft control a close look.  Their hardware is well thought out.  Hard to find an unhappy customer of theirs.  
    I have a nearby thread if you want to see what a dishonorable death of an ATC looks like. 

Also. My Smobot shippped.  I'm really excited!!!
  • Bluedemon1999
    Options
    FlameBoss is amazing for me.