Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Searing steak options. Blowtorch?

Options
lufrago
lufrago Posts: 7
I was wondering how you guys go about searing steak after a reverse sear method with indirect cooking using the platesetter. 

It seems to me that removing the hot plate setter and grill is too much of a hassle.

I recently purchased a blowtorch with a gas tank to sear the steak, but I find that the kosher salt grains get badly burnt and appear as black dots. (See the pic, that is not pepper, it’s burnt kosher salt). 

Any suggestions?

Comments

• scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    Options
    Cast iron pan on your stovetop, if you have a good range hood.  Works better than anything else I've tried, and I've tried a lot of ways.
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    I thought this too until I actually did it the first time.  It is really easy if you have a good pair of gloves,  I also use the ps woo ring from Ceramic Grill Store.  It is ideal for easily remove the plate setter during a cook.  Takes just a few seconds.
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I purchased some high temp gloves for the sole purpose of reverse seared steaks. They work great, but just be sure you have a suitable landing spot for the platesetter because you do not want to dawdle after pulling it out of the BGE.
    Stillwater, MN
  • G_S
    G_S Posts: 62
    Options

This seems like a perfectly good excuse to buy a second smaller egg.

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,356
    Options
    I use the adjustable rig from CGS and keep the stock grate below that. Pull the AR and fire it up. Put the steak on the stock grate for the sear. Even before that, I didn't find removing the PS too difficult.
    Las Vegas, NV

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Half moon stones leave the coal exposed on the adjacent side. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I do the low and slow part without the plate setter.  It's not ideal, maybe, but I, too, find taking out a hot plate setter just not appealing.  It works fine for me.  I put in a little hickory during the low and slow so the steaks have a bit of a smoky, campfire taste, move them around a bit, flip a few times, and then when they're to temp, take them out and crank the fire up to 650° or so, put them back and sear for 1 minute a side.  No cast iron needed, great sear, no muss, no fuss.
  • SonVolt
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Theophan said:
    I do the low and slow part without the plate setter.  It's not ideal, maybe, but I, too, find taking out a hot plate setter just not appealing.  It works fine for me.  I put in a little hickory during the low and slow so the steaks have a bit of a smoky, campfire taste, move them around a bit, flip a few times, and then when they're to temp, take them out and crank the fire up to 650° or so, put them back and sear for 1 minute a side.  No cast iron needed, great sear, no muss, no fuss.
    I do this too, especially for larger cuts and I find the taste better than using a deflector. I'm assuming because of the fat dripping into the coals thing.
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • rekameohs
    Options
    but just be sure you have a suitable landing spot for the platesetter because you do not want to dawdle after pulling it out of the BGE.
    I bought three 1/2" copper plumbing Tees.  I set these on my tiled outdoor table, then place anything hot on them.  It lets air get underneath to help cool it down and keeps most of the heat off of the table.
    Raleigh, NC
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    sear it first with the dome open then put in the platesetter to slowly take it up to temp. It's much easier to control that way. Searing an already hot steak makes it very easy to blast past your desired finish temp. I should put this on the unpopular opinion thread but reverse sear is for "suckers and losers".

pre-sear for the win!
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,348
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Caveman for the finish.  You will get great crust and the temp will rise only around 5*F (depending on thickness).   You will have to pull the heat deflector and use long tongs once you get the lava lump going.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    That is not burned salt btw. Salt does not burn. I just blow torched salt for a minute and this was the result:

• johnmitchell
    Options
    That is not burned salt btw. Salt does not burn. I just blow torched salt for a minute and this was the result:

I see Jesus in that burnt salt
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,046
    Options

Cool experiment!  I wonder if dripped some bacon or beef fat and repeated if you would get a black coating on the salt from the burned fat?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Cool experiment!  I wonder if dripped some bacon or beef fat and repeated if you would get a black coating on the salt from the burned fat?

we are about to find out but I know I can lay a salted steak in 1600 degree lump ad the salt does not turn black.
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    Adding salt to a pottery kiln causes it to vaporize and do desirable things to the glaze.  
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

I see Jesus in that burnt salt
    Funny, I see a mushroom cloud.  I guess they're not mutually exclusive.

Options
    I see a little silhouetto of a man.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    All these flavors and you choose to be SALTY  All These Games And You  Decided to Play Me  Know Your Meme
    Options
    In my experience, searing steaks with a torch makes the steak taste burnt.  Might be fine for creme brulee though.
    Options
    In my experience, searing steaks with a torch makes the steak taste burnt.  Might be fine for creme brulee though.
    100% agree with you.  I see YouTubers do this, but I just do not like it.  It looks pretty, but flavors are off to me.  Especially with the oxyacetylene torch, but even the propane torch just tastes off.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    I just use my gas grill with GrillGrates.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • SonVolt
    Options

I haven't personally seared a steak using a torch, but I think I remember Kenji saying as long as you have a heat source from the bottom (such as a hot cast iron pan) the off-flavors of the propane should combust. 
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    Blackstone griddle - read my comment here https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1226135/omg#latest
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    Options
    I agree, too much of a hassle to take everything out, increase temp for a 2 min sear ... I normally go to my gas BBQ for finishing off at 500F to 600F to sear.  In fact my Napoleon has a 1200F side sear station that is brilliant. 

If you don't want to do that, then use a cast iron as others have stated, on the oven ... add butter.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!