Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Paella help please

Options
Hi, I was hoping i could get some advice or recipe on how best to cook paella without an egg or an open fire. I am visiting family who would really like me to make it but I won't have access to an egg or open fire. I can use an oven, stove top or decent size natural gas grill. If this is doable I will bring the pan and bomba etc with me to visit. I am guessing the Broil King BBQ is my best option but I haven't tried using an oven or stove top. I think the burner units on the stove top are going to be too small for my 15 inch pan. Incidentally, the recipe I use to cook paella on the egg is this: https://www.chowhound.com/recipes/grilled-paella-mixta-paella-with-seafood-and-meat-29656   I follow the recipe as per with the pan placed on an inverted plate setter and it gets rave reviews, for what its worth. Thanks in advance for any info that would make this doable with the cooking units described above.

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I’ve always done the cook raised direct rather than indirect like you but you’ve got something that is working and your peeps love so let’s roll with.  Do you have a stone you could take to use on the gasser?  If so go with your normal cook temp in the gasser but put your pan on stone instead of the grid. At this point heat is heat and your in familiar territory  and if you want a little smoke just use a foil pouch with chips.  Sounds solid to me.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I would think you could do this just fine on a gas grill. I agree a 15” pan might be too small for a stove burner. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
     just a thought ... make ahead of time vacuseal or zip lock
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    As above, you just need to get the heat source across the pan.  Sounds like the gasser will give you that option.  BTW- here is a great primer/link on paella cooks that may have some helpful info:
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/paella/paella.htm  FWIW-good luck as you have the winning ingredient with the bomba rice-that will bring any paella home.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited October 2020
    Options
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1214766/paella

I made Paella on the egg but the recipe could easily be prepared on a stove top in a wok. A link to the recipe is on the link. The recipe was made by BigGreenCraig. It is fantastic.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • NorthEgg
    Options
    Great comments everyone, thanks. I don't have access to a wok and am flying to the location so I am trying to minimize what I bring. Vacuseal was a really good idea  loco_engr but unfortunately not practical due to timing issues (travel related). Mattman, i think they have a pizza stone so I will probably try putting that between the grill and the pan.  Thanks

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    NorthEgg said:
    Great comments everyone, thanks. I don't have access to a wok and am flying to the location so I am trying to minimize what I bring. Vacuseal was a really good idea  loco_engr but unfortunately not practical due to timing issues (travel related). Mattman, i think they have a pizza stone so I will probably try putting that between the grill and the pan.  Thanks

@Little Steven traveled with partially warmed raw chicken in his carry on.  Then still finished the cook and served it.  Nobody died.  It can be done.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Direct on gas grill
    Options
    I've never had leftover paella that tasted good. Do not vacuum seal and bring with you. It does not work, left over paella turns into glue. Paella pans are cheap and Amazon has bomba rice, ship them to your hosts ahead of time and consider the pan a seasoned hostess gift when you leave. 
    Firing up my XL Big Green Egg, KJ Jr. or Weber gasser in Salt Lake City
  • NorthEgg
    NorthEgg Posts: 18
    Options
    I am late getting back on this but I only just cooked this. I cooked it direct over a Broil King natural gas bbq. Between Amazon and the local store, I was only missing mussels for the usual list of  ingredients that I use when cooking at home. The results were pretty close to what I can get out of the egg. Thanks for the advice. The spoon in the picture was a happy accident, some people on this forum get a bit fired up about cutlery in their pics.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @NorthEgg - you did that cook up right.  Congrats.  Thanks for the follow-up.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.