Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bear meat dry aging question

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,898
Just asking for another person...has any one dry aged a bear meat roast?  And if so for how long, how well it came out and any personal advice would be appreciated! 
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Options
    Bear meat can be tricky. For one, there is a lot of fat in bear meat - we used to work bear fat into our leather boots to make them water resistant. 

I would suggest the standard of soaking the roast in butter milk then drying completely and roasting it to about 110* and then searing it only because in my experience bear meat seems to be more “done” than beef at the same temperatures. 
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • RRP
    Options
    JNDATHP said:
    Bear meat can be tricky. For one, there is a lot of fat in bear meat - we used to work bear fat into our leather boots to make them water resistant. 

I would suggest the standard of soaking the roast in butter milk then drying completely and roasting it to about 110* and then searing it only because in my experience bear meat seems to be more “done” than beef at the same temperatures. 
    Thank you!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,119
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I have only had bear meat once, I enjoyed it, but I do recall it being "greasy".  I enjoyed the flavor though, it was cooked rare.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,305
    Options
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    it was cooked rare.
    I prefer most meat rare myself. However you are skating on very thin ice eating rare bear meat. Especially if it’s black bear. Not a good idea my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    Options
    JNDATHP said:

Ooops, I missed asking for clarification...did you ever try dry aging it? If so then for how long?
  • SGH
    Options
    RRP said:
    Just asking for another person...has any one dry aged a bear meat roast?  And if so for how long, how well it came out and any personal advice would be appreciated! 
    I have never done just a “roast”. However my grandfather hung split carcass halves and quarters. He always hung them for 7 days at 33 degrees. He said they needed to be colder than venison which we have done for years between 34-40 degrees. He always said you want bear meat to “mellow” not magnify. I never question his logic as the meat always tasted very good. Akin to venison. Only sweeter. 
    Not giving you advice here. Just sharing how my grandfather did black bear. And again, he was not doing roasts. Split carcasses and quarters. I share the story to answer the question about how the meat came out. It was very good. Best of luck my billionaire friend 👍

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    Ron for whatever reason he always stressed 33 degrees for black bear. He never deviated from that for whatever reason. I have never researched it to see if there is a reason for it or is it just what worked best for him.  

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I hear you can dry age at 33F, but it's a bear.
    edited October 2020
    Options
    SGH said:
    it was cooked rare.
    I prefer most meat rare myself. However you are skating on very thin ice eating rare bear meat. Especially if it’s black bear. Not a good idea my friend. 

Yikes, just did a quick google search.  Well I didn't die (it as about 25 years ago), but thank you for the heads up.  I will not try it that way again, and yes it was black bear too.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    I’m not sure dry aging would benefit the flavor but I could be wrong.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i wouldnt dry age it. sous vide it for several hours at 140 degrees minimum to kill any trichinosis, then sear. ive eaten nh bear med/rare many times but thats not advice i would hand out. the other option is to stew it for 5 to 6 hours til tender
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    Options
    I’m with @alaskanassasin on this one. Hanging whole quarters or primals for a few weeks might help, but I don’t see dry aging a roast or smaller cut as providing an appreciable difference. 

Also, as stated above, black bears can carry trichinosis. Don’t undercook it. 
  • butt_juice
    Options
    Agreed on skating on thin Ice. Bear often carries Trichinellosis. 

South Central Kansas
    Instagram: @midwest_voyager
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Those who suffer poisoning just have to grin and bear it. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Poisoning by trichinosis has to be the worst.
    Options
    Poisoning by trichinosis has to be the worst.
    Actually, the wurst.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Best to make sure to harvest a vaccinated bear 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • RRP
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    so a domesticated one from the circus or zoo is a safer one? Won't that tick off the owners? I'm confused.
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    Lots of bear hunters in my area. Its got a texture similar to pork so lots of people here brine and smoke like a ham.or grind and make sausages
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    I vaccinated our cats against fleas and it was the best imaginary thing I've ever done for them.

edited October 2020
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    I vaccinated our cats against fleas and it was the best imaginary thing I've ever done for them.

We just decided to go for herd immunity for fleas with our dog.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Legume said:
    kl8ton said:

We just decided to go for herd immunity for fleas with our dog.
    Is your vet Dr Scott Atlas?  We're trying to rid the pack of cats from herd mentality.  (Bad kitties!)
    Options
    Nah, we use Dr Facebook.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Family.  Auntie Vacks is on Facebook and she's the worst.  (Sorry, "wurst")
    Options
    Options
    Options