Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

On Cincinnati Chili and Nutritional Yeast

BotchBotch Posts: 10,414
Good friend of mine posted a delivery he got yesterday, four cans of Skyline Chili; I've been hungry for it since.  I've got 3 different "home" recipes I've had for years, decided to check EweTube for any others.  Came across this one:
 

 
There's a lot of Lore and Legend regarding Skyline's recipe and "secret ingredients", only two people know ONE half of the full recipe, its in a bank vault, etc.  The guy above pointed out that the fourth listed ingredient (on the canned stuff, which IMO doesn't taste quite like the restaurants either) was yeast!  And that's not included in any other recipe on the 'net, so I was intrigued.  He claims to have spent a yuge amount of time reverse-engineering the recipe, and includes tablespoons of both nutritional/brewer's yeast (which I'm totally unfamiliar with), and Fleischmann's.  I found a bag of nutritional yeast, Bob's Red Mill (with a picture of Bob on the package) and noticed it said, "Try it on popcorn!"   :s
 
Now, any guy that calls for 1 5/8's teaspoon of a spice for 2 lbs of meat, either has much more refined tastebuds than I do, or is blowing smoke.  But, I'll try anything once.  This was close, still not quite right (although it's been at least a decade since I've had it in Ohio).  Had a four-way with beans for lunch (AND my very first Grillo's pickle, yum!), and chili dogs ("Skyliners") for supper.  I'll try this recipe again, but without the clove, a lot less allspice and a little less cayenne.  
 
And so I have a nearly-full bag of nutritional yeast, and I don't usually eat popcorn.  Anyone here use the stuff?  I need some ideas (may sprinkle some into tomorrow morning's Tornado Omelette).  
____________________________________________
Introvert Engineers - Social Distancing before it was cool.  
Ogden, Utard.  

Comments

  • buzd504buzd504 Posts: 3,278
    Basically it's the vegan equivalent of parmesan.  We have a canister of it too (from my recently departed vegan nephew).  I don't really know what to do with it either.
    NOLA
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 14,517
    I bought some a while ago, when I was in my hand-pulled noodles phase

    https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2020/04/hand-pulled-lamian-noodles.html

    #1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • GulfcoastguyGulfcoastguy Posts: 3,710
    Botch said:
    Good friend of mine posted a delivery he got yesterday, four cans of Skyline Chili; I've been hungry for it since.  I've got 3 different "home" recipes I've had for years, decided to check EweTube for any others.  Came across this one:
     

     
    There's a lot of Lore and Legend regarding Skyline's recipe and "secret ingredients", only two people know ONE half of the full recipe, its in a bank vault, etc.  The guy above pointed out that the fourth listed ingredient (on the canned stuff, which IMO doesn't taste quite like the restaurants either) was yeast!  And that's not included in any other recipe on the 'net, so I was intrigued.  He claims to have spent a yuge amount of time reverse-engineering the recipe, and includes tablespoons of both nutritional/brewer's yeast (which I'm totally unfamiliar with), and Fleischmann's.  I found a bag of nutritional yeast, Bob's Red Mill (with a picture of Bob on the package) and noticed it said, "Try it on popcorn!"   :s
     
    Now, any guy that calls for 1 5/8's teaspoon of a spice for 2 lbs of meat, either has much more refined tastebuds than I do, or is blowing smoke.  But, I'll try anything once.  This was close, still not quite right (although it's been at least a decade since I've had it in Ohio).  Had a four-way with beans for lunch (AND my very first Grillo's pickle, yum!), and chili dogs ("Skyliners") for supper.  I'll try this recipe again, but without the clove, a lot less allspice and a little less cayenne.  
     
    And so I have a nearly-full bag of nutritional yeast, and I don't usually eat popcorn.  Anyone here use the stuff?  I need some ideas (may sprinkle some into tomorrow morning's Tornado Omelette).  
    An on line friend of mine mixes it with Greek yogurt and almond butter to make a salad dressing. Probably some other ingredients but it would take a deep dive for me to find it. I tried it once and it was surprisingly good, just seldom kept all ingredients on hand.
  • NCSmokyNCSmoky Posts: 515
    @Botch. This is my mothers recipe for Skyline chili. Grew up in Cincinnati in the 70's and ate at Skyline quite a bit. That being said I haven't had the real thing since I was 11 so perhaps you are a better judge to how close this recipe is. Have been making and eating this version most of my life and quite like it so have not tried any others.

    #2 Lean ground beef sautéed
    3C water
    15oz can tomato sauce 
    2 bay leaves
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    1C onion
    1tsp cinnamon
    1tsp Worcestershire 
    1tsp salt
    1tsp vinegar
    2tsp ground cumin
    1tbs chili powder
    1 1/2tsp allspice
    1/tsp red pepper

    Simmer 3 hours

    If you make it let me know how it rates on the authenticity scale.

  • 500500 Posts: 3,065
    I think you should look at this article on Camp Washington Chili to get tips on certain types of cheese, how it's shredded, how the noodles are cooked, etc.  For me, recalling my years living in Cincinnati, the technique is very important as to how it tastes, as much as the chili recipe is.  

    https://www.eater.com/2015/1/27/7866847/cincinnati-chili-camp-washington-eater-elements

    That said, I've only attempted it one time, but took inspiration from the above article on technique.  If you have Pinterest, you can look at my board there;

    https://pin.it/NEFYt4H

    It's been awhile since I've made it, but I believe I used @Richard Fl recipe from the forum, but I believe I added a little cocoa powder;

    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1177771/skyline-chili#latest

    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
  • BotchBotch Posts: 10,414
    edited October 14
    500 said:
    I think you should look at this article on Camp Washington Chili to get tips on certain types of cheese, how it's shredded, how the noodles are cooked, etc.  For me, recalling my years living in Cincinnati, the technique is very important as to how it tastes, as much as the chili recipe is.  

    https://www.eater.com/2015/1/27/7866847/cincinnati-chili-camp-washington-eater-elements

    Interesting read; thanks!  
     
    In one Ewetube video I watched, the gent insisted that Skyline chili does NOT have chocolate in it, as he's allergic to chocolate and has no issue with Skyline chili.
    I've never heard of a chocolate allergy, however... 
    ____________________________________________
    Introvert Engineers - Social Distancing before it was cool.  
    Ogden, Utard.  
  • GulfcoastguyGulfcoastguy Posts: 3,710
    Botch said:
    500 said:
    I think you should look at this article on Camp Washington Chili to get tips on certain types of cheese, how it's shredded, how the noodles are cooked, etc.  For me, recalling my years living in Cincinnati, the technique is very important as to how it tastes, as much as the chili recipe is.  

    https://www.eater.com/2015/1/27/7866847/cincinnati-chili-camp-washington-eater-elements

    Interesting read; thanks!  
     
    In one Ewetube video I watched, the gent insisted that Skyline chili does NOT have chocolate in it, as he's allergic to chocolate and has no issue with Skyline chili.
    I've never heard of a chocolate allergy, however... 
    My sister is deathly allergic to mushrooms. There are all sorts of allergies. 
  • paqmanpaqman Posts: 3,275
    This guy missed the MSG.  Natural flavors = MSG

    Fleuschman yeast 🤔, it sounds strange.  Maybe go all the way nutritional yeast.

    Thanks for sharing, I’m trying it this weekend.

    ____________________
    Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity and are able to turn both to their advantage. •Niccolo Machiavelli
  • BotchBotch Posts: 10,414
    Just for sh*ts and giggles I added 2 tsp of the nutritional yeast to my omelette this morning.
    Nope.  
    ____________________________________________
    Introvert Engineers - Social Distancing before it was cool.  
    Ogden, Utard.  
  • LegumeLegume Posts: 11,007
    Botch said:
    Just for sh*ts and giggles I added 2 tsp of the nutritional yeast to my omelette this morning.
    Nope.  
    I usually have some around and do add it to things, it adds a little funk as a background note, but two tsp for an omelette sounds heavy to me.
  • paqmanpaqman Posts: 3,275
    No beans? 😂🤣😂

    ____________________
    Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity and are able to turn both to their advantage. •Niccolo Machiavelli
  • GregWGregW Posts: 2,315
    edited October 18
    paqman said:
    This guy missed the MSG.  Natural flavors = MSG

    Fleuschman yeast 🤔, it sounds strange.  Maybe go all the way nutritional yeast.

    Thanks for sharing, I’m trying it this weekend.
    MSG masquerades under many names. For me it is of no concern, if it's not listed as a recipe ingredient, I make sure to add it. I always keep a bag of the crystalline form from the Asian store in the pantry. I don't really use the Accent brand. 
    There's a popular fried chicken restaurant in central Alabama that liberally dust's the  chicken after frying with MSG crystals, the crystals can been seen all over the crust. The customers love it. 
    Birmingham, AL
  • paqmanpaqman Posts: 3,275
    GregW said:
    paqman said:
    This guy missed the MSG.  Natural flavors = MSG

    Fleuschman yeast 🤔, it sounds strange.  Maybe go all the way nutritional yeast.

    Thanks for sharing, I’m trying it this weekend.
    MSG masquerades under many names. For me it is of no concern, if it's not listed as a recipe ingredient, I make sure to add it. I always keep a bag of the crystalline form from the Asian store in the pantry. I don't really use the Accent brand. 
    There's a popular fried chicken restaurant in central Alabama that liberally dust's the  chicken after frying with MSG crystals, the crystals can been seen all over the crust. The customers love it. 
    I am a BIG fan of MSG (I use the Accent brand because that’s what I easily have access to).  Whenever I’m cooking and a little something is missing, that’s usually MSG.  MSG is essential on fried chicken.  I can say that that I truly mastered how to cook fried chicken during the pandemic.  KFC sucks when compared to mine, no wonder that they are ditching their “finger licking good” moto.  I have tons of MSG in my breading mixture and I also dust immediately after taking out of the fryer.  It is good hot but also cold 😂

    ____________________
    Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity and are able to turn both to their advantage. •Niccolo Machiavelli
  • paqmanpaqman Posts: 3,275
    edited October 20
    I have no clue what Skyline chili is supposed to taste like (and Cincinnati chili for that matter) but nutritional yeast is a keeper.  I’m impressed... I pretty much followed the recipe except that I did not have onion/garlic powder on hand so I used fresh onions/garlic instead and I added....MSG + Worcestershire sauce (maybe 2-3TBSP).  Again, I have no clue what it was supposed to taste but next time I will scale down cloves, increase cinnamon and add a bit more cayenne.  I loved the cheesy flavor from the nutritional yeast!  Oh yes, I also replaced the fleischman yeast with nutritional yeast (did not like the idea).  The recipe just said to cover with water, I used 4 cups and simmered for a total of 3 hours.



    ____________________
    Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity and are able to turn both to their advantage. •Niccolo Machiavelli
  • BotchBotch Posts: 10,414
    paqman said:
    I have no clue what Skyline chili is supposed to taste like (and Cincinnati chili for that matter) but nutritional yeast is a keeper.  I’m impressed... I pretty much followed the recipe except that I did not have onion/garlic powder on hand so I used fresh onions/garlic instead and I added....MSG + Worcestershire sauce (maybe 2-3TBSP).  Again, I have no clue what it was supposed to taste but next time I will scale down cloves, increase cinnamon and add a bit more cayenne.  I loved the cheesy flavor from the nutritional yeast!  Oh yes, I also replaced the fleischman yeast with nutritional yeast (did not like the idea).  The recipe just said to cover with water, I used 4 cups and simmered for a total of 3 hours.


    Wish I could taste yours, you made some interesting mods.  I can tell you that your final product could use another cup of water, at least, to match the chain's chili consistency, which is, in my opinion, too watery for chili-dogs.  FWIW.   
    ____________________________________________
    Introvert Engineers - Social Distancing before it was cool.  
    Ogden, Utard.  
  • paqmanpaqman Posts: 3,275
    Using it on chili dogs was the goal.  Consistency is good for that but it could use a tiny bit more liquid.  1 cup would be too much for the way I like it.

    I think the guy in the video said it is better the next day and he is right.

    Recipe is a keeper and I’ll be exploring other uses for the nutritional yeast.  Thanks for sharing!



    ____________________
    Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity and are able to turn both to their advantage. •Niccolo Machiavelli
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 10,438
    caliking said:
    I bought some a while ago, when I was in my hand-pulled noodles phase

    https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2020/04/hand-pulled-lamian-noodles.html
    I'm still going through my hand-pulled noodle phase. 


    Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

Sign In or Register to comment.
Click here for Forum Use Guidelines.