Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Rocket

Options
First off I am a huge fan of Spatchcock which is my go to method.

When I first got an egg I got a cheap wire "beer can" chick holder, dont think I ever used it and likely tossed it.  But over the weekend my neighbor grabbed this for me out of her Dads shed- they had 3 of them so she got one for me.

https://www.chickenrocket.com/

Thing is full on Cast Iron, heavy as you think it is.  I dont think this has ever been used but in the spirit of Egging Im likely going to give it a shot- any comments on the use?  Likely will use it empty first run then depending on results may put some liquid in it on another run.
XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    add the liquid hot and not much, maybe even preheat the cast iron. problem with beer can chicken is that the liquid doesnt even come close to a simmer before the bird is done. you could even just use aromatics instead of liquid
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    add the liquid hot and not much, maybe even preheat the cast iron. problem with beer can chicken is that the liquid doesnt even come close to a simmer before the bird is done. you could even just use aromatics instead of liquid
    On their site they were recommending bringing the tube up to temp as well.  I like the aromatic idea.

Preheat your grill or oven to 350F, with your Chicken Rocket inside.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options
    I have a Turkey Cannon which probably works the same way, minus the preheat. That's going to make it fun to handle...

https://www.campchef.com/turkey-cannon-infusion-roaster.html

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,492
    Options
    The teenager in me sees "rocket", and "cannon", and has totally different ideas...   :D 

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    trying to wedge a chicken onto a 400 degree cast iron pipe after a few beers...What could possibly go wrong?
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • xfire_ATX
    Options
    trying to wedge a chicken onto a 400 degree cast iron pipe after a few beers...What could possibly go wrong?
    exactly my thought. 

I am more likely planning a shove it on vs place it on.

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I've always been very skeptical of the whole drunk chicken deal.
  • Tbla
    Tbla Posts: 57
    Options
    I have 2 chicken Rockets.  I fill about 3/4 full of beer and slide that chicken over it.  I think they work great.  I think cast iron actually helps cook the chicken better than just a beer can.   
    Woodbury, MN.   LBGE, Weber gasser, ECB
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,351
    Options
    GregW said:
    I've always been very skeptical of the whole drunk chicken deal.
    Wise man.

Here's all one needs to know about "beer can chicken":

https://amazingribs.com/bbq-techniques-and-science/beer-can-chicken
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options

I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • xfire_ATX
    Options
    I bought a whole chicken yesterday will give it a go in the next couple of days.

• xfire_ATX
    Options
    Test Run today for making Jambalaya another night this week-

Weather went from 80s to 50s and windy, played havoc with getting up to temp.

Unlike a spatchcock raised direct, I got the coals going set the oval deflector in and dropped the "rocket" on the grid to get to temp.  Shooting for 350-375

Now comment from @The Cen-Tex Smoker earlier had me wondering about putting a chicken on this cast iron thats 350.  Turned out that was easy but more on that later.

When I shut the lid I thought the probe might be right there so I looked into check, yeah there it is.

Let it run for an hour and it was pretty close so knowing it was going into Jambalaya I pulled it off.  Well as easy as it was to put on the "Rocket" it was difficult to get off, ended up turning on side and using the grid to remove it from the "rocket"

I didnt put any liquid inside it but there was plenty of Chicken moisture in it when it turned over.

Finished product- super crispy skin, first taste was delicious.  Will I do it again- well since I own it I likely will.

• UplandEgger
    Options
    Nice.  I like beer butt chickens personally.  And spatchcocking them.  
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,536
    Options
    Reminds me of turkey cannon, bought one on impulse buy never used it  :)

canuckland
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Chicken looks great. It looks like the rocket could use a little seasoning. Perhaps the chicken grease will take care of that- but I would coat it with oil and leave it in the egg when you shut it down after using. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• xfire_ATX
    Options
    Chicken looks great. It looks like the rocket could use a little seasoning. Perhaps the chicken grease will take care of that- but I would coat it with oil and leave it in the egg when you shut it down after using. 
    Exactly what I did with it.