Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Waygu vs regular brisket cooking time

Have access to my first waygu brisket. Do they cook at the same rate as a regular prime brisket or does the extra fat change anything?  
Any advice would be helpful. 

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,375
    edited September 2020
    I've never done a waygu, but I'd expect a little quicker cooking time based on others comments on here.  I'm sure others will chime in.  As has been said many times on here, the cow drives the cook, so keep an eye on it.

I look forward to seeing it come together.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I have cooked the SRF black briskets and they are done much quicker than a choice brisket. I would expect a Wagyu to be done much sooner.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    I recently cooked my first brisket so I'm a bit of an expert.

It'll cook quicker.

How much quicker? HTFSIK, I've only cooked 1 brisket!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • I don't know how much quicker they cook. I've cooked several. They certainly feel soft quicker but they also have a lot more fat to render out than traditional briskets. I remember the first one I cooked felt ready at 185 but it wasn't. It had hours to go until it was ready. 

I would plan on a regular cook time and be ready for a longer rest if it does actually finish up a little quicker. I've had several that actually ran a little  longer becasue they had so much fat to render out. They are each their own little adventure so be ready to hold it a little longer if it's done early or to push it through at the end if it stalls out for 6 hours. Either way, I would bet it's within an hour of a regular brisket cook either way once it's all said and done.

Have fun. you are in for a treat.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,729
    I treat 'em all with the same process from start to finish.  I have only had one brisket and it was SRF black declare victory below 200*F and that was a few years ago.  Just target getting inside the FTC window (which I equate to 2-6 hours wide) and enjoy some great eats on the other side.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,133
    Ive done two and they both finished much faster ~20%- they actually probed well and were above 200.  I only cook Prime or Wagyu so I can say over choice.

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • I haven’t smoked a wagyu brisket, but my experience with wagyu ribs vs prime ribs leads me to support @The Cen-Tex Smoker ‘s rec. They did cook more quickly, but they felt fine even sooner than they were. By not pulling them as quickly as first probe told me to they were juicy gold all the way through. 
    LG BGE
    Camp Chef 2xburner

Twin Cities, MN
  • Let us know how it turns out. Would be valuable to document this to Dial this in. I’ll pay more attention if and when I start cooking briskets again. 90% of what I’ve done the last 2 years have been for classes. The Rona put an end to those so it may be a while. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    Speaking of Wagu/Prime versus Choice Black Angus brisket,
    What do the forum members prefer? I ask this, because last summers trip through Texas, I visited Black's BBQ in Lockhart. I had the privilege to meet the owner and pit master Kent Black. The brisket was outstanding. I asked him what he preferred to cook, he said he always cooks Black Angus choice grade, the reason he gave was, the prime has too much fat, he said the choice makes for a better product.

I've only cooked the prime packers from Costco, and have been fairly satisfied, but they don't come anywhere near to the quality Blacks produces everyday.

In the forum members opinion, is there such a thing as too much fat in prime or wagu?  
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,729
    GregW said:
    Speaking of Wagu/Prime versus Choice Black Angus brisket,
    What do the forum members prefer? I ask this, because last summers trip through Texas, I visited Black's BBQ in Lockhart. I had the privilege to meet the owner and pit master Kent Black. The brisket was outstanding. I asked him what he preferred to cook, he said he always cooks Black Angus choice grade, the reason he gave was, the prime has too much fat, he said the choice makes for a better product.

I've only cooked the prime packers from Costco, and have been fairly satisfied, but they don't come anywhere near to the quality Blacks produces everyday.

In the forum members opinion, is there such a thing as too much fat in prime or wagu?  
    I will take a shot at the above as I have been sucked into the brisket vortex over the past several years.  If you are gonna cook for a large crowd or more importantly a business, then I understand going with the Angus choice grade.  Solid outcomes every time. The hold will help the end product and every place I visited a couple of years ago employed the "hold" save Smitty's in Lockhart.  
    I will take exception to the "too much fat" comment as everyone knows "no fat, no flavor!".  That said, I will also offer as noted by @The Cen-Tex Smoker that unless you really render it out there can be too much fat but for me I have only been there with SRF gold grade. Wrestling with those is a challenge to nail it with the needed rendering. But the reward is off the chart!
    If I had to dial in a brisket for a worthy audience I would go with SRF black grade and right behind that Heartbrand Akaushi.  
    No secrets as every one I cook I follow the same deal.  Of course I'm in fly over country so measure the above accordingly.  I will say in my defense that I did spend some time talking with Aaron Franklin, Wayne Mueller, Tootsie Tomenentz and @The Cen-Tex Smoker on a central Texas brisket bender June 2019.  It was truly epic across the board.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,058
    i usually cook prime briskets.  One time though, the brisket was so fatty that the point section was really inedible - unless you like having an early heart attack due to the excess fat!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    Thanks everyone. I will stay with the Costco prime packers. They seem to be readily available, and the price is reasonable.