Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fall 2020 Smoked Cheese test run

Options
xfire_ATX
xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
edited September 2020 in EggHead Forum
Ive been smoking cheese for a while but because of my method I was doing it when it was generally cold and with ice between smoke and cheese.

I broke down in the spring while at CGS and bought the Amazen Smoker Tube and some pellets- then it turned into Texas Inferno so there it sat.  Well thanks to TS Beta its been in the mid 60s/ low 70s so last night I went for a trial run.  Bought some throwaway cheese and went for it.

Pulled the KAB, Cleaned ash and lit the tube.  Full load on pellets as had no idea how long it will last.

After 15 min to get settled in with smoke added grate, deflector and put on a grill mat to put cheese on.

15 Min holding steady at a low temp, restricted bottom vent almost fully but still generating plenty of smoke.

Roughly an Hour later pulled them off and vac sealed for 4-6 weeks to mellow.

When I pulled the Tube today before cooking a chicken I was amazed it only used 1/2 the load.  Next run I will fill it up with cheese for the Thanksgiving/ XMAS season.
XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:
    Ive been smoking cheese for a while but because of my method I was doing it when it was generally cold and with ice between smoke and cheese.

I broke down in the spring while at CGS and bought the Amazen Smoker Tube and some pellets- then it turned into Texas Inferno so there it sat.  Well thanks to TS Beta its been in the mid 60s/ low 70s so last night I went for a trial run.  Bought some throwaway cheese and went for it.

Pulled the KAB, Cleaned ash and lit the tube.  Full load on pellets as had no idea how long it will last.

After 15 min to get settled in with smoke added grate, deflector and put on a grill mat to put cheese on.

15 Min holding steady at a low temp, restricted bottom vent almost fully but still generating plenty of smoke.

Roughly an Hour later pulled them off and vac sealed for 4-6 weeks to mellow.

When I pulled the Tube today before cooking a chicken I was amazed it only used 1/2 the load.  Next run I will fill it up with cheese for the Thanksgiving/ XMAS season.

My large AMS tray burns for 12-14 hours depending on the pellets.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    BTW- I learned that Traeger pellets are almost always alder wood with flavored oils (apple, cherry, oak etc). I switched to a 100% hardwood pellet (I'm using Green Mountain these days) and it made a huge difference in flavor. The Traeger Apple pellets were turning my bacon jaundice-y yellow. I guess it was the oil/color they added.
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    BTW- I learned that Traeger pellets are almost always alder wood with flavored oils (apple, cherry, oak etc). I switched to a 100% hardwood pellet (I'm using Green Mountain these days) and it made a huge difference in flavor. The Traeger Apple pellets were turning my bacon jaundice-y yellow. I guess it was the oil/color they added.
    Good point to check- these were "branded" from CGS and Im sure they just took a big bag and made smaller bags.  I wasnt investing much until I get a better feel so now its time to move to the next step.  Looks like BBQ Outfitters has Green Mountain so thats what I'll pick up.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I just checked his site. He has the good pellets. Lumberjack are 100% hardwood with no flavor additives. I figured he wouldn’t carry the crap pellets. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    I need to try this again. The 1st batch I only let it settle for a couple weeks. It tasted like an ashtray. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I have been using the Amazen tube for a few years now.  It burns about 4 hours with the bottom vent wide open.  I can't wait for it to cool off enough to do another batch.  Every year I swear I am going to do enough to last through the hot months.

Do you always vacuum seal?  I usually wrap in saran, and then bag for at least two weeks.  I thought I read somewhere that vacuum sealing caused some cheese to mold? 
    Clinton, Iowa