Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

LL Bean Cast Iron

Options
Anyone know any history on these.
A few on EBay but can’t find any other info. Enameled cast iron.

Thank you,
Darian

Galveston Texas

Comments

• mEGG_My_Day
    Options
    Those are interesting! I know nothing about them, but am hoping someone will chime in. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,360
    Options
    Fishless probably has some and can tell us all about em.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Those are interesting! I know nothing about them, but am hoping someone will chime in. 
    Thanks, there are a couple on eBay but really no info about them.
    Buddy picked them up for me at thrift store. I will pick them up Friday.
    I like the speckled finish.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,814
    Options
    never seen the old ones and i bet they were good quality, they did do a cheaper set in the 80's that didnt look nearly as nice as those. bean has gone down hill in the last few decades
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • carrda04
    Options
    Wow, I have vague memories of my aunt having those during my youth in Maine (though not THAT long ago). Definitely melted butter for steamers and lobsters in that. The finish matches that of many larger lobster pots a lot of people have, including one in my garage. Very vintage Bean.
    LG BGE
    Camp Chef 2xburner

Twin Cities, MN
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    carrda04 said:
    Wow, I have vague memories of my aunt having those during my youth in Maine (though not THAT long ago). Definitely melted butter for steamers and lobsters in that. The finish matches that of many larger lobster pots a lot of people have, including one in my garage. Very vintage Bean.
    Amazing how seeing something like a cooking pot can instantly bring back a rush of memories from many years ago. 
    Thanks for commenting 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    never seen the old ones and i bet they were good quality, they did do a cheaper set in the 80's that didnt look nearly as nice as those. bean has gone down hill in the last few decades
    My best friends Dad, growing up around High School times, was into L.L. Bean and fly fishing. At that time, I believe, they were still king of the hill. But I know they have been sliding down for many years. But I had no idea they started way back in 1912 with a single product...Their Duck Boot...
    What a cool story! 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,814
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    My best friends Dad, growing up around High School times, was into L.L. Bean and fly fishing. At that time, I believe, they were still king of the hill. But I know they have been sliding down for many years. But I had no idea they started way back in 1912 with a single product...Their Duck Boot...
    What a cool story! 

when they opened their first store they gave out large prints of landlocked salmon, i have both the male and female original prints framed in shadow boxes
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    What a cool story! 

when they opened their first store they gave out large prints of landlocked salmon, i have both the male and female original prints framed in shadow boxes
    That's awesome
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Today, Bean's is an upscale store that looks a bit like REI only bigger. I remember visiting Freeport back in the day when Bean's was a rickety old barn (or something) with poor lighting. Come to think of it, REI started out in Seattle with a similar place. Freeport was a typical small Maine town. Nothing to write home about. Now, it's basically a town-wide outlet mall with lots of traffic. Wall to wall tourists - all thanks to Leon Leonwood Bean.

They even have a McDonalds - after years of trying...
    mcdonalds maine

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• abpgwolf
    Options
    Years ago the Freeport, ME store was open 24/7/365. When the founder died, they gave everyone the day off to attend the funeral. They had to post off duty police at the doors because there were no locks on the doors. 

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Photo Egg
    Options
    abpgwolf said:
    Years ago the Freeport, ME store was open 24/7/365. When the founder died, they gave everyone the day off to attend the funeral. They had to post off duty police at the doors because there were no locks on the doors. 
    Very cool story. At the very least, I have learned some history about a great company. My friend just dropped off the 2 pots. I will post a couple photos later today.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Darian, read the Wiki on Leon Leonwood Bean. Talks about the early days. Turns out his middle name may have been Linwood. =)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leon_Leonwood_Bean

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Photo Egg
    Options
    Darian, read the Wiki on Leon Leonwood Bean. Talks about the early days. Turns out his middle name may have been Linwood. =)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leon_Leonwood_Bean
    Thanks for the link. What a great story.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Thanks, there are a couple on eBay but really no info about them.
    Buddy picked them up for me at thrift store. I will pick them up Friday.
    I like the speckled finish.
    Somehow I knew a thrift store was involved!  =)
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    try to contact llbean: prodsupport@llbean.com 
    might have any markings included with email
    Good luck
    let us know what you find out
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • JethroBodeen
    Options
    No doubt the old stuff was top quality. there were a few things I bought religiously. Most of it turned to Chinese junk like the everybody else about 15 years ago...I throw the flyer in the trash as soon as it hits the mailbox now.