Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

500F wings

Options
Late to get started in dinner last night so I tried to move things along quickly.  I setup indirect with plate on the woo and wings as high as could be on the top of the AR.  500F indirect and flipped once.  When I flipped, I swapped some of the paler ones from the middle to the outside.  I’ll cook them this way more, better uniformity on the skin and more moist.  They were spread out single layer when I was cooking them, just piled up to pull them off.

Comments

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,363
    Options
    Those look amazing. Extra points for the Buccee's sleeve.
    Las Vegas, NV

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I go 450-500 indirect On wings as well. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    One thing you can do ahead of time is put them in a 160F sous vide for 2 hrs.  Then dry them on a rack in the fridge for 24-48 hrs.

Last time I was at Costco, I noticed they had two different kinds of party wings.  One was labeled as "Air-Dried".

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    One thing you can do ahead of time is put them in a 160F sous vide for 2 hrs.  Then dry them on a rack in the fridge for 24-48 hrs.

Last time I was at Costco, I noticed they had two different kinds of party wings.  One was labeled as "Air-Dried".

Thanks, I’ve gone the SV route with wings, the results didn’t really differentiate themselves to me.  Most of the time wings are a game time decision, warm water defrost, dry them, rub them and maybe get a couple hours of rest in the fridge.  I used to go indirect 350, then switched to cooking direct, but I do tend to burn more this way.  Happy with how these worked out.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Legume said:

Thanks, I’ve gone the SV route with wings, the results didn’t really differentiate themselves to me.  Most of the time wings are a game time decision, warm water defrost, dry them, rub them and maybe get a couple hours of rest in the fridge.  I used to go indirect 350, then switched to cooking direct, but I do tend to burn more this way.  Happy with how these worked out.
    How do you keep the oil from flaring up when it hits the plate setter?  I was going to get a round foil pan and dump a bunch of salt in it, as I hate the burned smoke taste from grease.
  • Legume
    Options
    Legume said:

How do you keep the oil from flaring up when it hits the plate setter?  I was going to get a round foil pan and dump a bunch of salt in it, as I hate the burned smoke taste from grease.
    I didn’t put anything down, but I was in a hurry. Normally I would use an air gapped drip pan but I didn’t get any flares that I noticed and didn’t get that burnt chicken grease flavor at all.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Need to try higher temps when I do wings. I usually have some kind of sugar in the marinade, which burns if I try to go higher. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Legume
    Options
    caliking said:
    Need to try higher temps when I do wings. I usually have some kind of sugar in the marinade, which burns if I try to go higher. 
    I rarely marinate wings and the rubs and spices I use don’t have sugar.  That would be a problem at 500.