Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Using thick sliced bacon on appetizers

Options
My last 2 packages of regular cut bacon (Farmland) have been falling apart and thus too hard to
wrap appetizers.  Was wondering if I 1/2 cook thick sliced maybe that might alleviate my problem?
What do you all think?
Thanks
aka marysvilleksegghead
Lrg 2008
mini 2009
XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
Henny Youngman:
I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,787
    Options
    Center cut regular slice stays together ...that being said , take the thick slice, give it a good stretch will thin it and stay together . I start thicker cut bacon wrsps at a low temp rather than pre cook , then turn the heat up

Up vote for making and slicing your own 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,485
    Options
    I use a lot of bacon for appetizers such that I will not go to the effort of home prepared.  That said, I spend a lot of time eye-balling the store regular thickness packages for the proverbial notch in the package around 1- 1 1/2 inches in and avoid those.  
    For ABT's, pig shots and Armadillo eggs I do not par cook and just call the finish when the bacon is done.  For the stuffed bacon wrapped shrimp I do par cook (nuke the slices) before finishing on the BGE.  FWIW-
    Just give the thick slices a go and see where you land.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Falling apart bacon is usually a good sign it has been frozen, maybe more than once. Try another brand.
    I like thin cut or center cut with less fat because it crisps up faster.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    loco_engr said:
    My last 2 packages of regular cut bacon (Farmland) have been falling apart and thus too hard to
    wrap appetizers.  Was wondering if I 1/2 cook thick sliced maybe that might alleviate my problem?
    What do you all think?
    Thanks
    I either, as you suggested use half cooked bacon or for even better results (for me) prosciutto.    

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Yep
    Options
    i use the thin cut bacon or prosciutto for certain items.  with the thin cut it stretches better when left out a good half to one hour to warm up a bit
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it