Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tried Malcom Reed’s burger method tonight

Options
Came out OUTSTANDING. Finally NO hockey pucks to be found and a satisfied swmb.

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Nice! How is this different from the hockey puck way? I haven’t watched his video on burgers. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    Nice! How is this different from the hockey puck way? I haven’t watched his video on burgers. 
    Big half pound patties. Don’t pack down the meat. Grill at 400° on the fire ring. Cook for 3-3.5 minutes rotate the burgers, another 3-3.5 and flip, 3-3.5 rotate and cheese if you want, cook for one more 3-3.5 and wah la. Wicked good. Hands down the best burgers I’ve had on the egg.

https://youtu.be/pGVzEZdVK44
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Nice. I saw that video the other day and have been wanting to try it.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • JethroBodeen
    Options
    Smash burgers are in your future.......
  • Powak
    Options
    Oh yes I’ve done those many times. Had some good grease fires in egg with em but they are damn good. I usually use the rectangular lodge griddle on the egg but I’m thinking about getting Grillgrates.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Powak said:
    Oh yes I’ve done those many times. Had some good grease fires in egg with em but they are damn good. I usually use the rectangular lodge griddle on the egg but I’m thinking about getting Grillgrates.
    I have the grill grates and the lodge. The lodge is actually better but the grill grates have more surface area. I don’t know why but the grill grates are a total pain to keep clean. It’s like they absorb grease. It took them an hour at 550 to burn clean last night after a burger cook last week. And I brushed them clean while they were hot with hot water and a brush. They do some things  really well (I use them for fish and as a burger griddle) but I’m not sure they are worth the effort it takes to use them. I think I’m going to go fish only on the GG and go back to the lodge for burgers. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I’ll say it again, Malcolm is a national treasure. He has helped countless folks and started doing so years before it was en Vogue to let out the secrets. He is a huge factor in the explosion of BBQ culture here in the US. 
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    I’ll say it again, Malcolm is a national treasure. He has helped countless folks and started doing so years before it was en Vogue to let out the secrets. He is a huge factor in the explosion of BBQ culture here in the US. 
    Until recently I had never heard of him and I am up the road from him in Memphis.  His videos are excellent.  He’s a great communicator.  I use some of his products as well. 
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • Powak
    Options
    Powak said:
    I have the grill grates and the lodge. The lodge is actually better but the grill grates have more surface area. I don’t know why but the grill grates are a total pain to keep clean. It’s like they absorb grease. It took them an hour at 550 to burn clean last night after a burger cook last week. And I brushed them clean while they were hot with hot water and a brush. They do some things  really well (I use them for fish and as a burger griddle) but I’m not sure they are worth the effort it takes to use them. I think I’m going to go fish only on the GG and go back to the lodge for burgers. 
    I’ve heard they’ve gotta some flack on here but have you heard of Mangrates? They look like a cast iron version of Grillgrates.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Powak said:
    Powak said:
    I’ve heard they’ve gotta some flack on here but have you heard of Mangrates? They look like a cast iron version of Grillgrates.
    Ha ha. Yep. Know all about them. They have had quite a run on here. 
  • Powak
    Options
    Powak said:
    Powak said:
    Does the lodge pretty much have the same effect as the man and Grillgrates when ridge side up?
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    4TheGrillOfIt said:
    Until recently I had never heard of him and I am up the road from him in Memphis.  His videos are excellent.  He’s a great communicator.  I use some of his products as well. 
    Quite an unusual spatula he was using.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Powak said:
    Powak said:
    Powak said:
    Does the lodge pretty much have the same effect as the man and Grillgrates when ridge side up?
    I only use it on the griddle side so not sure how the side with ridges works. It’s a smash burger rig for me. 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Botch said:
    4TheGrillOfIt said:
    Quite an unusual spatula he was using.  
    It comes with most grill grate sets. If you have the weird grates you should have a spatula
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • tclamberth
    Options
    What kind of grate is he using in that video? Doesn’t look like your normal grate but also doesn’t look like he is using a heat diffuser 
    Memphis raised me, T-Town made me...Aint never been nothing but a winner
  • Powak
    Options
    What kind of grate is he using in that video? Doesn’t look like your normal grate but also doesn’t look like he is using a heat diffuser 
    He’s using Grillgrates. They’re aluminum panels with bars on one side and flat surface on the other. You can flip em over and use like a griddle for smash burgers. They got little holes in them too to let the heat thru but won’t get the radiance from the coals like using the regular grill.
  • tclamberth
    Options
    WPowak said:
    He’s using Grillgrates. They’re aluminum panels with bars on one side and flat surface on the other. You can flip em over and use like a griddle for smash burgers. They got little holes in them too to let the heat thru but won’t get the radiance from the coals like using the regular grill.
    Does it diffuse heat at all? I cook burger a bunch and think I make a good burger but I don’t normally cook right over the flame. 14 minutes seems like it would burn my meat but am interested to try his method.
  • Powak
    Options
    WPowak said:
    Does it diffuse heat at all? I cook burger a bunch and think I make a good burger but I don’t normally cook right over the flame. 14 minutes seems like it would burn my meat but am interested to try his method.
    Pretty sure it does. The holes keep the flare ups away and the aluminum conducts the heat well so they burn those hatch marks in.  I cooked mine on the regular bge grill and followed the same times. They came out a juicy medium/medium well. I don’t own any Grillgrates yet but I’ve researched them and Mangrates heavily. I just love the maillard effect of the radiant heat from the coals so I fear I’d lose that with the Grillgrates. 
  • tclamberth
    Options
    Made then tonight as well. Turned out great. New go to burger outside of the Blackstone smash burger 
  • Powak
    Options
    Made then tonight as well. Turned out great. New go to burger outside of the Blackstone smash burger 
    Those look GREAT! bet they tasted some good too. What did you use for meat?