Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Gloves and Mitts

Options
Relatively new Egg owner here. When using the egg, is there a preference for fingered gloves or the traditional mitt?
Also, how do the Big Green Egg glove and mitt stack up against welder gloves, etc?
Thanks for any help!

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,346
    Options
    Welcome aboard. Lots of great people here. I use welding gloves to handle the hot components (cooking grids, stones, etc.). For handling meats/food I opt for cotton lined silicone gloves from Amazon. They're easy to wash and don't get grease soaked like mitts and gloves do.
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun. 
    Here's a related thread from this site (used search function) that may help you out:  FWIW-

RE: Best heat resistant gloves for BGE?  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Welcome and enjoy the ride. I use the fingered BGE gloves, not a mitt guy....

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Welcome aboard!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    I use the "ove glove" .  It can be washed in the washing machine when dirty and its sufficient to pick up a hot grate from right over the fire.  
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    I have the BGE ones, they work well, however I stopped using them because they became dirty inside and I could not clean them properly, even in washing machine.  Every time I put my hands in they felt greasy.

Use silicone ones now which I think paid $10 each, works great and just put the hose to them to clean.

I do have the Eggspander, which makes removing the convEggtor ( I think that is how you spell it) a breeze.  Worth the money just for that.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)