Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pre-Apocalypse blackened redfish tacos...

Options
caliking
caliking Posts: 18,731
edited August 2020 in EggHead Forum
A patient’s grandma brought me a big 4 lbs redfish filet, and about 5 lbs of YUGE head-on shrimp. They run shrimp boats, and I guess they snag some redfish along the way. 

Anyways, figured I’d take a shot at blackened redfish. Channelled @Photo Egg . On the mini, DP Bayou-ish, and Paula  Deen amounts of butter. 

Whipped up some cilantro lime coleslaw for fish tacos. Not the best pic, but you get the idea. 

Didn’t suck. 

Now back to the increased sphincter tone that Laura is causing. Stay safe y’all. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,297
    Options
    Not bad at all. Hopefully you are on high ground.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Looks good. Stay safe!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    Looks great!  Hope you fare well!
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Oh HELL YEAH!
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Strong work. Stay safe. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    Looks great.

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Looks like some killer fish tacos!
    LBGE
    AL
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Strong work!  Stay safe 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    Amazing looking meal - yall stay safe!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Excellent work right there. Hoping you have feared well in Laura's passing.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • caliking
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

Laura hit a bit more east of Houston than was being projected, so we were fine. The TX/LA border not so much. I think Operation BBQ Relief is already set to deploy. 

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    caliking said:
    A patient’s grandma brought me a big 4 lbs redfish filet, and about 5 lbs of YUGE head-on shrimp. They run shrimp boats, and I guess they snag some redfish along the way. 

Anyways, figured I’d take a shot at blackened redfish. Channelled @Photo Egg . On the mini, DP Bayou-ish, and Paula  Deen amounts of butter. 

Whipped up some cilantro lime coleslaw for fish tacos. Not the best pic, but you get the idea. 

Didn’t suck. 

Now back to the increased sphincter tone that Laura is causing. Stay safe y’all. 
    Ok, I throw in the towel.
    You win!
    Beautiful
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Nice job Caliking

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,098
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Not much of a fish eater....I could definitely eat 1 one or 12 of those. 
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• caliking
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    caliking said:

Didn’t suck. 

Ok, I throw in the towel.
    You win!
    Beautiful
    I was about to wimp out and cook these inside, but was self-shamed by a bunch of your recent cooks. Thanks for the inspiration! 

And very glad that y’all didn’t get walloped by the storm. Was actually going to text and ask how to cook this, but didn’t think it was the right time. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Glad you were mostly spared the brunt of this.  That is a great banquet right there. Glad your patients recognize and acknowledge.
    And you are correct-heard a few hours ago that Operation BBQ is enroute to Lake Charles.
    BTW- what's the plan for those shrimp??
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CPARKTX2
    CPARKTX2 Posts: 222
    Options
  • caliking
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Glad you were mostly spared the brunt of this.  That is a great banquet right there. Glad your patients recognize and acknowledge.
    And you are correct-heard a few hours ago that Operation BBQ is enroute to Lake Charles.
    caliqueen makes a Bengali coconut milk based shrimp curry, that goes up a couple of notches when you've got the big head-on shrimp. 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    caliking said:
    lousubcap said:
    caliqueen makes a Bengali coconut milk based shrimp curry, that goes up a couple of notches when you've got the big head-on shrimp. 
    Want.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,974
    Options
    Not sure how I missed this before, but that looks killer man.  Drool!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    Options
    Legume said:
    caliking said:
    lousubcap said:
    Want.
    I'll have to get back to you. If you think I'm bad about measuring ingredients/recipes, wait 'til you see caliqueen cooking. It drives even me batty. 

At least I use spoons. She just sprinkles, until it looks about right :)