Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boudin Noir - Who here enjoys blood pudding?

Options
paqman
paqman Posts: 4,670
I wouldn’t eat this everyday but once in a while it is great.  I love this stuff and we have a local farm that makes them perfectly.  The tiny bits of pork fat just explode with a storm of flavor in the mouth!

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I've never made it myself, but definitely a fan.
    NOLA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,045
    Options
    I have never tried it.  Never had a desire too either.  However, if I was somewhere and they served it to me, I would.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Use to eat this all the time for breakfast, just slice and fry.  Have not seen them in the stores for years, which makes my wife happy because she does not like the smell.

The ones in the photo look great.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    My grandmother made it when I was a kid and we slaughtered our own beef and pork.  Definitely an acquired taste, but good.  Nothing like an old school boucherie.
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    Would defiantly guve it a try , have not had an opportunity

Looks killer
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • ilooklikeelvis
    Options
    I've never made but absolutely love it, particularly the smoother variants. Yum.
  • paqman
    Options
    I have never tried it.  Never had a desire too either.  However, if I was somewhere and they served it to me, I would.
    My mom used to eat some of it from time to time when I was a kid but it disgusted me and I don’t have good souvenirs of how it tasted.  A few years ago, I purchased some from a local farm and decided to try it again and it tasted so good and so far away from the stuff my mom was getting from the grocery store (or maybe my taste has evolved).  You should have a try at it, it doesn’t taste like what it looks like 😂.  Cinnamon, clove, a tiny bit of nutmeg it is actually pretty tasty.

Options
    EggNorth said:
    Use to eat this all the time for breakfast, just slice and fry.  Have not seen them in the stores for years, which makes my wife happy because she does not like the smell.

The ones in the photo look great.
    Same here, I don’t see them in grocery stores anymore but in the last year or so, i’ve seen it in a few specialty stores.  It doesn’t taste/smell anywhere close to what I remember from the one bought in grocery stores.  The cinnamon actually smells pretty good when cooking IMHO. SWMBO can’t get over the fact that it is made with blood but she did say that it smelled good this time.

Options
    My grandmother made it when I was a kid and we slaughtered our own beef and pork.  Definitely an acquired taste, but good.  Nothing like an old school boucherie.
    You may be right about it being an acquired taste, it is a good one to acquire 😀.  

Options
    Black pudding is excellent, a must with a full English breakfast and a traditional pub snack on darts night in the grim North. Slice and fry in the fat from the bacon.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Is that the same thing as blood sausage? The pics look like sausage. 
    I’ve never had the opportunity to try any. I’m always willing to try foods when I realize they are a “thing” with a lot of fans. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I’ve never had the opportunity to try any. I’m always willing to try foods when I realize they are a “thing” with a lot of fans. 
    Black pudding is the UK type of blood sausage, even so there's plenty of regional variations. Traditional types have visible chunks of fat though them. Blutwurst is the German version. You won't see a proper cooked breakfast here without black pudding.
  • paqman
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    It is a sausage with a casing, this one had a fairly small diameter (about the same size as a typical Italian sausage) and this is the size that I’ve see it being made recently.  The one I’ve been accustomed to growing up was much larger and sliced relatively thin and was fried in a CI pan with bacon fat.

Options
    Eoin said:
    SciAggie said:
    Black pudding is the UK type of blood sausage, even so there's plenty of regional variations. Traditional types have visible chunks of fat though them. Blutwurst is the German version. You won't see a proper cooked breakfast here without black pudding.
    There are several variations, a « popular » one here has chunks of apples in it.

Options
     I grew up eating "blood sausage" due to my German heritage and thanks to the local German deli. And when I'm in the UK it doesn't seem like a real breakfast without black pudding. I love the stuff, in all its varieties.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    Options
    On the off chance of trying it locally, it has been disappointing; but have really enjoyed while traveling. 
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     I love it on a breakfast plate. English/Irish/Scottish variants. Don't get it often but did a full on proper English breakfast as a going away party for a member of my social club two years ago. Got good supplies of the white and black sausages, and back bacon. And real English style baked beans at a local specialty shop. Expensive but good.
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    CtTOPGUN said:
     I love it on a breakfast plate. English/Irish/Scottish variants. Don't get it often but did a full on proper English breakfast as a going away party for a member of my social club two years ago. Got good supplies of the white and black sausages, and back bacon. And real English style baked beans at a local specialty shop. Expensive but good.
    White pudding is good, cooked breakfast with white and black pudding and soda bread is a Full Irish / Ulster Fry, dependent on where you are on the island.
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    Big fan! There is an Argentine/Italian place near me that serves it and sweetbreads. Hard no to order it when we go. 
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m