Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Apple wood

Options
JMCXL
JMCXL Posts: 1,524
My neighbor is going to have a very large Apple tree taken down, should I offer to cut it and take the wood. She would probably pay me to do it and I would have enough Apple wood I could sell for a while. Any thoughts / opinions 
Thanks Papa J
Northern New Jersey
 XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

Comments

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    edited August 2020
    Options
    JMCXL said:
    My neighbor is going to have a very large Apple tree taken down, should I offer to cut it and take the wood. She would probably pay me to do it and I would have enough Apple wood I could sell for a while. Any thoughts / opinions 
    Thanks Papa J
    Yes, I have two cherry trees I am going to harvest in the fall for my own use. Not sure how lucrative the market is but nice to have your own source
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    If you don’t mind the work, I’d do it if I were you.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Apple wood burns well in a stove too, so you can't really go wrong.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    I have a scads of apple which is great, some wild cherry and now also peach. To me all the fruit tree woods are mild, but good. I also love nut wood such as pecan, but I have to buy it.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Without knowing her/theirs financial situation and neighborly status , i woukd err on doing it keep some wood for me let them keep sales......

But it great to have a stash of fruit wood
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    With no knowledge of any of the variables. start with apple wood is a great smoke wood.  Now for the influencers-for me the easiest option would be for your neighbor to pay a professional to fell the tree and then you harvest the wood and deal with your best usage opportunities. If you have the time and skiils to drop the tree and you see that as beneficial, then go that route with the afore mentioned distribution downstream.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • frazzdaddy
    Options
    I have cherry , apple , hickory, maple ,walnut and persimmon on my place. Any of you guys that are close are welcome to some if you need it.
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @frazzdaddy - show off!!   =)  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • frazzdaddy
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @frazzdaddy - show off!!   =)  
    Gifts with purchase sir. I got very lucky. 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Keep any sales kind of quiet unless you want the DNR on you......not sure what it's like in your state, but you're not supposed to take unkilned wood across county lines here.  They'll nail your butt here if they catch you.  Emerald ash borers, gypsy moths, etc are wreaking havoc on us.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Let someone else cut and haul off   Then sweet talk them into a limb or two for your personal use.  If the tree is huge it will home with a huge liability if something goes wrong on the way down.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. My neighbor is 93 and I am always helping when I can. With COVID-19 my business has slowed to a halt, thinking this will give me something to do. The town will take the small branches and anything I don’t want if I put it at the street it is gone within days (if they know it is apple in hours). If anyone is near northern NJ and wants some let me know. If I end up not cutting it down I know the guy that know the tree guy and he will let me take what ever I want. 
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,520
    Options
    Uhmm, is that a question?? YESSSSSSS! Take the wood!!! LOL
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Took a pecan tree on time (already cut up) for firewood. I can tell you there were plenty enough chips (for the picking from the saw (taking it down & cutting into pieces) for me to use for quite a while. Need any?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
    @JMCXL, I'm in, would be more than happy to help your neighbor out!
    Let me know when you are planning to do it!
    2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • brownbw
    brownbw Posts: 154
    Options
    I have cherry , apple , hickory, maple ,walnut and persimmon on my place. Any of you guys that are close are welcome to some if you need it.
    I've never smoked with persimmon before, but I cut one down at my folks' house a few months ago. It's still sitting there off the ground. What's the verdict on the taste/smell/burn of persimmon? (or rather, what is it best used with) 
    Opelika, AL
  • frazzdaddy
    edited August 2020
    Options
    brownbw said:
    I've never smoked with persimmon before, but I cut one down at my folks' house a few months ago. It's still sitting there off the ground. What's the verdict on the taste/smell/burn of persimmon? (or rather, what is it best used with) 
    Very mild and a little sweet. I've used it on fish and butts.
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.