Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New table build

Options
hey everyone.  I am building a new cedar table, and a wood working friend is suggesting I use an oil based stain.  I'm a little leary to use an oil based stain on something that is already pretty flammable.  Is this something I should worry about.

Here is the progress so far.

Top isn't attached yet, just took a pic of the pocket holes i used to connect.  I plan on using a water based polyurethane for the to, and then use pocket holes on the 2x4 to connect it.

I still have to put on some trim and build the cabinet doors.  Pretty happy so far.  Also buying a table nest tomorrow, figured this is to nice for a paver and ceramic kiln pieces for separation. 

Thanks!

Large BGE
BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada

Comments

• Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options
    I can't find anything on the relative flammability of dried oil-based stains versus bare wood, but common sense would lead me to think the risk would be slightly higher. It's probably not much more insurance to not use it on a wood table, though. You might want to rethink the water based poly on top, unless this is going to be living under a cover anytime it's not in use. You'll be refinishing every year otherwise. There are more serious outdoor finishes that will hold up, but they are more expensive and take more effort at first. Look for nolaegghead's table.
    One other thing to think about. That top is going to expand and contract across the width, so you should only screw it down to the back and let the front move.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Great looking table, like how you put together the top with pocket screws.

My only concern is the location near the house.  I had my large near the side and I noticed the siding warped.  Not sure if that was caused by the Egg but I’ve moved it since anyway.  Also after a while the siding was covered in black smoke and had to be cleaned.

Maybe just me and my bad quality vinyl siding.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    edited July 2020
    Options
    EggNorth said:

My only concern is the location near the house. .

I agree - how about moving it to the other side by the railing before it becomes too difficult to move? Even grease spatters will ruin that siding.

If fellow Canadian Little Steven were still alive he would give you a similiar warning since his home burnt down due to his BGE being too close to his house.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    EggNorth said:

My only concern is the location near the house.  I had my large near the side and I noticed the siding warped.  Not sure if that was caused by the Egg but I’ve moved it since anyway.  Also after a while the siding was covered in black smoke and had to be cleaned.

Maybe just me and my bad quality vinyl siding.
    I just have it there under the eaves to partially protect it while I build it.  It is on casters so I can move it at any time.  I haven't decided where it is going yet.  Definitely a concern right there.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• bigalsworth
    Options
    Kayak said:
    I can't find anything on the relative flammability of dried oil-based stains versus bare wood, but common sense would lead me to think the risk would be slightly higher. It's probably not much more insurance to not use it on a wood table, though. You might want to rethink the water based poly on top, unless this is going to be living under a cover anytime it's not in use. You'll be refinishing every year otherwise. There are more serious outdoor finishes that will hold up, but they are more expensive and take more effort at first. Look for nolaegghead's table.
    One other thing to think about. That top is going to expand and contract across the width, so you should only screw it down to the back and let the front move.
    Good advice I will look into it.  The water-based poly is/was going to take a lot of effort, my friend suggested 12 coats with sanding in between each haha.  I will search for noaegghead's table.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options
    Kayak said:
    Good advice I will look into it.  The water-based poly is/was going to take a lot of effort, my friend suggested 12 coats with sanding in between each haha.  I will search for noaegghead's table.
    Why does your friend hate you? To save you some time, it was coated with epoxy and then spar varnish. I think he used Epifanes brand. Even that wasn't 12 coats...

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• bigalsworth
    Options
    Kayak said:
    Kayak said:
    Why does your friend hate you? To save you some time, it was coated with epoxy and then spar varnish. I think he used Epifanes brand. Even that wasn't 12 coats...
    I will have to ask him why he hates me haha.  He must also hate himself because I believe he does that also. 

I might steer clear of the epoxy because it won't be covered at all and I'm also not sure how well it will do in the winters here.  I think I'm only going to stain and then replace the top with a concrete top in a few (3-5) years.  Hopefully I can keep everything underneath in good shape.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    "If fellow Canadian Little Steven were still alive he would give you a similiar warning since his home burnt down due to his BGE being too close to his house."
    I thought his fire was from a gas grill . . .
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    edited July 2020
    Options
    loco_engr said:
    "If fellow Canadian Little Steven were still alive he would give you a similiar warning since his home burnt down due to his BGE being too close to his house."
    I thought his fire was from a gas grill . . .
    Someone will come along to clarify, but we might be able to agree on one thing - whatever it was it was too close to his house!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Corv
    Corv Posts: 366
    Options
    With a good exterior finish of almost any kind as a top-coat, the outside will stand up reasonably well to UV if it's normally covered when not in use.
    12 coats is not needed, but the sanding in between is good advice. Try three or four coats, which are manageable.
    I have a wooden top on my fir frame and it's been fine, fastened directly to the frame. The top and frame are reasonably compliant and will more together with expansion changes due to temperature or humidity changes.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • danlbrown
    danlbrown Posts: 84
    Options
    Bigalsworth, I was fixing to start putting spar poly on my new table ( construction finished today) but as I’m following this conversation I’m rethinking. After all of the conversation, what are your thoughts on using a sealer.
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    danlbrown said:
    Bigalsworth, I was fixing to start putting spar poly on my new table ( construction finished today) but as I’m following this conversation I’m rethinking. After all of the conversation, what are your thoughts on using a sealer.
    I'm not sure if I'm qualified to give an opinion haha.  Time will tell how well the stain works.  I used sikkens cetol 1 which is what a wood working friend of mine recommended and uses himself.  

I think if it was going to be covered I would go another direction.  Because mine is out in the elements 24-7 from +30 to -50 degrees C I believe this was the right direction.  The storage will not be water tight though.  I wish I did tongue and grove for the top.

Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    Can't help with finishing but love how you leave the front open for ease of moving egg in and out.
    canuckland
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    Finally finished the table.  Had to wait for a friend to drill the holes for the European hinges.  I will reiterate that the table is not where it will be used, it is going to move from under the eaves to the side.  I made a few mistakes and its not very square, but I'm happy with it.

I think i am going to add some magnetic latches on the doors to keep them closed and also add a pull.

I ordered a table nest which should be here in the next couple days.  Almost pulled the trigger on a new band because I can't keep this one aligned, but its $175 here.

Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• volfan1
    volfan1 Posts: 164
    Options
    Looks fantastic!
    XL & Mini & knock off medium. Western North Carolina. Formerly Franklin, TN. Formerly in Palm Harbor, FL.