Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grocery Store Brisket Flat

joshpounds90
joshpounds90 Posts: 38
edited July 2020 in Beef
So, this was the second time I've done a brisket (still have yet to smoke a full packer) and I had high hopes because the first one I did turned out to be unbelievably juicy. Albeit, the first brisket I smoked on my egg (a month and a half ago) was a 6.5lb point with plenty of fat even after I trimmed it up. And I wasn't nearly as prepared for that smoke as I was for this one. (I've since received a plate-setter and have purchased several other grilling tools that make maintaining my egg easier). I will also add that this brisket was purchased from the Wegman's grocery store in the Brooklyn Navy Yard. The first one I did (the point) was purchased from a local butcher.

Anyway, one of the main differences between these experiences (besides this being a 5.6lb flat and that being a heftier point) is in the fact that I did not use HDAF to wrap this brisket (Texas crutch style) since I have a new roll of quality butcher paper. Pretty much everything else was the same....

--9:30AM--
Pulled my untouched brisket flat out of the fridge about a half hour before my egg was pre-heated and coated it liberally with Dizzy Dust.

Got the egg pretty hot before bringing it back down to 250F (you know, to kill the bacteria and COVID and s***). Obviously was set up for indirect, and my plate-setter's feet were up with a drip pan beneath the grate. Threw the brisket on and maintained an average dome temp of 250-265F for about 4 hours without looking. I'm not going to say it didn't get hotter, but it never went over 300F, as far as I know. I wasn't sitting next to the egg the entire cook.

When I finally did look after four hours, the internal temp of the flat was at about 163F, so I pulled it and wrapped it in peach butcher paper and gave it a mop of Guinness, apple cider vinegar, Crystal hot sauce, cayenne, paprika, 2 crushed garlic cloves, onion powder, s&p, then popped my probe back in and let it go for another couple of hours. Dome temp stayed between 250-275F.

Once the flat's internal temp reached 200F, I pulled it, took out the probe and wrapped it (still in the paper) in a beach towel before zipping it up in my Yeti and letting it rest for just under 4 hours. (I waited for my fiancée to get home from work before pulling it out and slicing it up, but it was still steaming regardless).

I have to say, upon slicing into it, the meat just didn't give as I was expecting it to and felt dry. I was sorely disappointed. I know that this is mainly because my first attempt was so perfect, almost by accident it seems, but still... I'm not saying the flavor was bad. This brisket tasted delicious (even as dry as it was), but it was more like a corned beef in texture and tenderness. Can anyone give me any advice as to why it just didn't break down or why the meat doesn't give on this one? I'm slightly confused and now more inclined to believe that the brisket flat just isn't as good as the point. Prove me wrong?

Brooklyn, NYC - medium BGE

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,703
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.  
    A few comments-you got the opening part right as the flat is totally different than the point regarding fat content and cook response.  Flats are more challenging due to the lean nature of the cut.  About when to pull, brisket cooks are finished by feel (temperature is only a guide).  When you can probe the thick part of the flat almost like butter you are there. (This generally occurs around 200-206*F.)  
    Here is a good guide for a brisket flat finish:
    "dry and fall apart is overcooked.
    dry and tough is undercooked." 
    The finish window is quite narrow however, given you immediately tossed it into a cooler I would have thought carryover cooking might have brought it across the finish-line for you.
    Always remember, "The friggin cow drives the cook!" FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 10,030
    Welcome aboard.

That looks quite good - especially for a flat.  The moisture in the butcher paper suggests it wasn't as dry as many - and that the paper probably helped.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX