Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt takes forever

Options
2»

Comments

• Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,525
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Mark_B_Good - the one variable that will help with answering your question; what calibrated dome temperature do you plan to run the cook with?  FWIW-
    Was 270F on dome, about 250 to 260F on grid with an ambient probe.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Mark_B_Good
    Options
    OK so the 4 lb butt was cooked indirect at grid temp of 250/260 and dome temp of 270/280, and hit 160F internal in exactly 4h. Wrapped with foil, and kept ambient same 250/260 on grid. Slightly less than 2.5 hours to hit 205F internal. Probed with toothpick very easy.

Taken off now and will slow cool in towel wrap for 1.5h to 2h, and then I'll take a picture before it ends up in the lower dungeons of my belly.

When you guys tear this baby apart, do you mix with BBQ sauce before serving or just let people add that on themselves? We plan to have pulled pork sandwiches with slaw.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,489
    Options
    I never contaminate the pork with sauce.  Leave that to others to change the taste and texture of your hard work.  You should encourage them to try it sauceless first.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Great thread ... @Mark_B_Good , I prefer just adding the BBQ sauce after on the bun, not mixed in.  I find you can taste the pork better that way.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    I usually offer a variety of sauces so folks can have it their way.  
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Mark_B_Good
    Options
    Sweet baby bobnuts. This turned out amazing!! I let it cool down for 2h in a towel, and in the oven. I tore her up and added in the bbq sauce before serving (sorry guys, it just looked and tasted better), and poured the juice from inside the foil, and mixed all in.  Wow, just wow.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,916
    Options
    Long thread and not a single mention of trying the turbo butt method? I’m a big fan of 350 dome which cuts your time down to 40 to 45 minutes per pound. Honest - I can see no difference in taste, nor texture and we’ve even conducted blind taste tests as proof! 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    Options
    RRP said:
    Long thread and not a single mention of trying the turbo butt method? I’m a big fan of 350 dome which cuts your time down to 40 to 45 minutes per pound. Honest - I can see no difference in taste, nor texture and we’ve even conducted blind taste tests as proof! 
    @RRP you might find this article interesting:
    https://blog.thermoworks.com/pork/pulled-pork-time-temperature-matters/

They cooked at 300 Degrees,
    The taste test and recommendation at the end does indicate that there is a difference, whether it significant enough to warrant the additional cook time is a matter of personal preference.  

If this article has been referenced before on the forum, please overlook me bringing it up again.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,489
    Options
    @GregW thanks for the link.  A good read across the issues to understand/address with the butt cook.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    GregW said:
    RRP said:
    @RRP you might find this article interesting:
    https://blog.thermoworks.com/pork/pulled-pork-time-temperature-matters/

They cooked at 300 Degrees,
    The taste test and recommendation at the end does indicate that there is a difference, whether it significant enough to warrant the additional cook time is a matter of personal preference.  

If this article has been referenced before on the forum, please overlook me bringing it up again.
    I find that article funny when they mention low and slow for competitions. Every competitor I know that wins trophies does it hot and fast. Sleep, plating and holding technique are way more important than time on the grill. Hot and fast with a long hold gives me the best of both worlds. Great bark and plenty of time to tenderize. But a lot of that tenderization happens in the cooler while I'm working my other meats or sleeping.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Mark_B_Good
    Options
    Well, I don't think mine could have come out any better ... so I'm not taking the risk ... I put it on at 10:30 am and we were eating at 6:30 pm ... so no issue.  Also I figure if I have to do it again, and want more meat, I'll just use 2 x 5 lb butts instead of one ... same time, double the meat.
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    I find that article funny when they mention low and slow for competitions. Every competitor I know that wins trophies does it hot and fast. Sleep, plating and holding technique are way more important than time on the grill. Hot and fast with a long hold gives me the best of both worlds. Great bark and plenty of time to tenderize. But a lot of that tenderization happens in the cooler while I'm working my other meats or sleeping.
    Scott - what temps and times are you cooking at for “hot and fast”?  And what is your hold technique? I like low and slow because it often fits my time needs but would like to get more proficient at shorter cooks as well. 
    New Orleans LA
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Dondgc said:
    Scott - what temps and times are you cooking at for “hot and fast”?  And what is your hold technique? I like low and slow because it often fits my time needs but would like to get more proficient at shorter cooks as well. 

I run 300-325 on my stick burner, wrap when they still look reddish, and then run till over 200 internal and feeling right. I set them into my carlisle food holder and leave the door open for 30 min. then throw towels on top and close them up for at least 2 hours. I really like 3-4.   At a comp this gives me time to do my ribs and chicken with my brisket and butts already put away and resting. 

I'm no world champion. But, the guys I compete against in some cases are, and I'm always AMAZED at how late the bulk of them light their cookers. I'm talking 4-5am when turn in is at noon. It's crazy how fast a lot of these guys cook their food and they win.

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • womaus
    womaus Posts: 256
    Options
    My best cooks of butt have been in the low 200's and sitting for 16+ hours, some as long as 20. Have never done a "quick" butt. Usually use a WSM, it's the cooker for the task.
    I have done a few butts on the Egg. Went back to the Weber.