Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse Sear vs Sous Vide

2»

Comments

• CPARKTX2
    CPARKTX2 Posts: 222
    I like the flexibility that SV gives in terms of pre-cooking, but I definitely prefer the results I get with reverse sear better for steaks. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    I just don’t get the sous vide thing, I want to as I bought one. But it just doesn’t compare to reverse sear for me. It’s not terrible, but I wouldn’t call it good. 

I do like it for veggies, eggs, and re-warming meat cooked on the egg. 

Except sous vide is reverse sear.  You may prefer another low temp mechanism than sous vide, but sous vide cooking of a steak is one form of reverse sear. Therefore reverse sear cannot be better than sous vide. 
    Sure, but I think those of us on the BGE forum are eluding to reverse sear on the egg. And it’s a completely different flavor and texture profile. 

But some of us on the egg forum do reverse sear with a SV low temp followed by high temp sear on the egg. Others do a reverse sear using the egg for both low and high temp stage. It’s reverse sear either way. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• jtcBoynton
    No one is yelling. Just a discussion about the use or mis use of a specific cooking term. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    So I did reverse sear chicken breast using the SV for the low heat portion and the broiler to sear cause I didn’t feel like firing up the egg.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    130° for 3 hours and then a hard sear.....

• Meeeshigan22
    Meeeshigan22 Posts: 306
    I just don’t get the sous vide thing, I want to as I bought one. But it just doesn’t compare to reverse sear for me. It’s not terrible, but I wouldn’t call it good. 

I do like it for veggies, eggs, and re-warming meat cooked on the egg. 

Except sous vide is reverse sear.  You may prefer another low temp mechanism than sous vide, but sous vide cooking of a steak is one form of reverse sear. Therefore reverse sear cannot be better than sous vide. 
    Sure, but I think those of us on the BGE forum are eluding to reverse sear on the egg. And it’s a completely different flavor and texture profile. 

But some of us on the egg forum do reverse sear with a SV low temp followed by high temp sear on the egg. Others do a reverse sear using the egg for both low and high temp stage. It’s reverse sear either way. 
    We know, you’re stating the obvious. I am fully aware that SV is also reverse sear, I think most know what we’re all trying to say by discussing the difference in methods. Wow
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • jtcBoynton
    Except numerous comments on this discussion make a clear distinction between SV and reverse sear as if they are different. More precise language would be helpful. It’s hard sometimes to read a comment and decide if they mean what they actually say or if they mean what I think they should have said. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    I'm cooking on the Egg to get some smoke into the meat. I want it to taste of BBQ, so RS for me. Don't own a SV and never will, it holds no interest as a cooking method.
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Last weekend a friend invited us over for sous vide beef tenderloin.  My opinion?  Meh! It was different, it was good, it was tasty, but it wasn't reverse sear good.  Sorry, JMO.  The same group had reverse seared ribeyes at our place a few weeks ago which was accompanied by a compound butter.  The overwhelming majority sided with me, reverse sear is the winner.

Happy Friday, stay safe, good luck to ya whether you are in the "mask" or "no mask" side of the equation.  

Peace out folks!
    By no means did I intend to create a somewhat controversial topic.  SV works for some and not so much for others, I can respect that.  I commit to giving it more time and will experiment further with it.  You drive a Dodge and I bleed the bowtie, it's all good.  Have a nice weekend ladies and gents.
    Lol, don`t sweat it . Lump threads do it too. 
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Late in the day I pulled some think rib-eyes out of the freezer.  Dropped them in the SV for about 3 hours at 126.  Dried them off, light coat of evoo, salt & pepper.  Used my spider to get the grate down a bit closer to the coals.  I think a total of about 4 minutes on the egg.  Just right.  Sorry for the absence of a cut shot - I was busy and forgot.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    I must be odd, I just cook the d@mn thing at 500-600 on my minimax for about 4min per side and end up with a nice juicy medium-rare to medium depending on thickness of the steak. I almost always get a nice perfect pinkish red edge to edge. I guess I’m missing something with the fancy cooking methods. I’ve tried reverse sear a few times and found no noticeable difference except the time it’s taken to cook a steak.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    Late in the day I pulled some think rib-eyes out of the freezer.  Dropped them in the SV for about 3 hours at 126.  Dried them off, light coat of evoo, salt & pepper.  Used my spider to get the grate down a bit closer to the coals.  I think a total of about 4 minutes on the egg.  Just right.  Sorry for the absence of a cut shot - I was busy and forgot.

Your ribeyes do look good.
    For the ribeyes I have cooked Sous Vide, I have been really disappointed. I have found that the fat content of the ribeyes has worked against me in SV. To me a ribeye really benefits from cooking over a high temp fire. The high heat renders out the excess fat. 
    Your finishing cook time is considerably longer than I typically do. I'm usually one minute per side. I see that you do four minutes total, the longer cook time I bet really helps render the excess fat.
    I plan to do your four minute time on the next ribeyes I cook with the SV.

• JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    @GregW. I lowered the bath temperature a few degrees in order to allow for a little more time on the grill.  These were thick at 1.5”+, so I knew they could handle a little more time without getting over done.  I think the longer time in the bath helped break the fat down too.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE