Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Now an Egg owning Member of the Forum, Table Build and first Cook

Options
2»

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Nice! If you use ash tool as opposed to vacuum for ash removal, you may want to consider teaming it up with this:

canuckland
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    Looking good @DrScotch and welcome aboard.  Don’t get rid of those green feet.  You may find them helpful to create an air gap between your platesetter and drip pan.  I’ll also use them to lift a dutch oven off the platesetter From time to time. They can come in handy. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    After the almost disaster I rebuilt my table and put granite under the egg. 
    And that was with gap between slats for ventilation 😀

Sorry have to ask, how long have you had the granite and do you check under it periodically?
    Wow, I missed @JRWhitee 's post, and @Canugghead 's response, the first time.  These pics change everything for me; I'll be redesigning my table to make some changes.

Note that I designed my table maybe 6 years ago or so, and have the purchased wood for 5 years now.  No excuse as a retiree anymore....  :s

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    And @DrScotch , years ago I built a home bar and used that epoxy finish on the bar top, which was simple flake particle board.  A very unique look.  Be aware that it never truly hardens; if you set something heavy on top of it (in my case it was an old A/V receiver) the finish will eventually dimple under the weight.  The good news is that, once removed, the finish will re-level over the next few months!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    FWIW:  wrap your platesetter in HDAF and cleanup will be a breeze!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    we put a platform under most eggs on our tables even though the heat isnt a problem for the stainless
  • Woadie
    Woadie Posts: 154
    Options
    Looks good.  Welcome aboard. 
  • Runamuck
    Runamuck Posts: 38
    Options
    I have a table for my large, but still need one for my xl. Also being a lefty, I had planned to put the egg on the right too. I noticed that right away. Nice work.
  • DrScotch
    DrScotch Posts: 22
    Options
    loco_engr said:
    FWIW:  wrap your platesetter in HDAF and cleanup will be a breeze!
    Thank you for this! As you can see, I had to learn that the hard way!
  • DrScotch
    DrScotch Posts: 22
    Options
    Looking good @DrScotch and welcome aboard.  Don’t get rid of those green feet.  You may find them helpful to create an air gap between your platesetter and drip pan.  I’ll also use them to lift a dutch oven off the platesetter From time to time. They can come in handy. 
    Wow- great idea! I do still have them, and will look for opportunities like you mentioned!
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    OK, everyone's told you about the table nest ... I'd get it.  On another note, put a drip pan on the conveggtor (plate setter) ... and wrap it with aluminum foil.  Will keep that conveggtor clean and also prevent your drippings from burning up, which gives a sour taste to food.

Many also just so slightly raise their drip pan off the conveggtor, using foil balls or I use stainless cable mounts (basically just a half circle to secure cable to walls).  This keeps the drip pan a bit cooler and prevents that burn.
    Darn, beat me to it. I was also going to say add drip pan.  My platesetter got a little gross before I got a pan and spider from CGS.  It did clean out though with a burnout.