Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Funny things happen when clean out your basement

Options
found a tub that I used to take eggfests, AND a stamp collection from my grandmother of mint plate blocks stamps she started in 1949, year of my birth. That was a HUGE relief!
aka marysvilleksegghead
Lrg 2008
mini 2009
XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
Henny Youngman:
I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap

Comments

• Ike
    Ike Posts: 291
    Options
    1949 was a very good year!
    Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    OTD, July 13, in 1949, the very talented Czech shot putter Helena Fibingerova was born

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    1949? Youngster!

BTW I too have 2 BIG Tupperware containers of equipment & supplies that I took to 14 Eggfests, but never put any food in them. Also a custom wooden box to carry and protect a plate setter and two metal grates and even an attaché style case for carrying my pizza steel! And then another 2 containers when I taught BGE cooking classes for 9 years before my BGE dealer sold out and the new owner didn’t understand the BGE cult, much less Eggfests, nor cooking classes and not even why anyone would buy a BGE when gas grills were so easier to use.....

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    What is a "basement"?
    Options
    What is a "basement"?
    The bottom of the ment.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • RRP
    edited July 2020
    Options
    What is a "basement"?
    That is that space under your N.O. home that is full of water and can't be drained, where up North ours sometimes get water in them and then have to be drained! Guess that's the best way to describe that space that can cause both of us fits at times!.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    What is a "basement"?
    Here in the heartland, is where some people store their "stuff", aka junk.  =)
    also the basement come in handy for tornados!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • RRP
    Options
    loco_engr said:

store their "stuff" What a cool way of saying their "sh*t" that they just HAVE TO SAVE until their executors come in and pay someone to haul it away! =) 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,298
    Options
    My Dad refuses to throw away a 2 foot piece of 2 by 4 or a bent nail. He built a large shed, then he bought one of the portable classrooms from a school, then whe he bought a house to rent out it had it’s own large shed. All 3 are full of cr@p. One day in the future I will have to have a giant bonfire. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I have a 600 and 5000 square foot above ground crap storage units, so I get it...
    Options
    havent been in my basement in years, seems i only go there to change out the water heater. its also a good place to store old water heaters
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options
    My then girlfriend lived in an old farmhouse turned into apartments (not one of those nice ones - a firetrap). The basement was full of every appliance that had ever been replaced in the five units of the building. One day we were poking around in it and I found a shoebox with handgun and police badge. Could've been handy, I suppose, but we turned it in to the locals who recognized the name and had a laugh...

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,520
    Options
    Just make sure there aren't any old baseball cards or comics worth $10000 in any of those crap storage areas ... before you burn them down.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I have a 600 and 5000 square foot above ground crap storage units, so I get it...
    We call that a garage!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • RRP
    Options
    My Dad refuses to throw away a 2 foot piece of 2 by 4 or a bent nail. He built a large shed, then he bought one of the portable classrooms from a school, then whe he bought a house to rent out it had it’s own large shed. All 3 are full of cr@p. One day in the future I will have to have a giant bonfire.
    My late Father even after retirement and selling his blacksmithing biz still had one side of their double car garage full of METAL pieces and metal parts and lengths and...you get the drift! I did find a guy to haul it away for whatever he received at a metal salvage yard. He brought me a sturdy 12 foot long 4 wheel trailer and before I got it filled all 4 tires were bulging. He later told me he had a blow out on the 30 mile trip to the salvage yard.

My Dad had also renewed his interest as a wood carver and had a large number of wood chunks and pieces that he had collected from several states over the years. I brought a bunch of them home here in IL from MO, but now wish I would have saved more...my advice is don't just think everything your Dad saved was ALL junk - you may actually wish you would be more selective years after he is gone!

Oooops - I should have added a thought...anybody want a 10" cube of tool grade steel that weighs at least 80 pounds? =)

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    We call that a garage!
    The Man Cave!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    RRP said:
    ...I brought a bunch of them home here in IL from MO, but now wish I would have saved more...my advice is don't just think everything your Dad saved was ALL junk - you may actually wish you would be more selective years after he is gone!
    After my Mom passed in May, my sister and BIL had quite a few things to sort through, both of Mom's and Dad's (he's been gone 30 years now).  
    There was a file box that Mom left for me, all of Dad's things, and I still haven't gone through it...  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    it amazes me what people think is junk, for 400 dollars i bought a 55 inch swing vertical lathe (1927), a 4 inch horizontal boring mill with a 48 inch rotating table(1940's) and a vertical cintamatic mill with a 27x48 inch table and tape drive that was easy to hook up to an early computer. i started a machine shop for 400 dollars.  seems it comes natural to me, even an old belt driven lathe can be converted into a weld lathe.  i have a late 1800's iron worker that used to form the heads on the steam locomotives that is set ep now to swedge american pipe down to those stupid metric sizes to fit those light weight flanges to convert european boilers to north american piping systems.

does anybody here have a press brake from a battleship, mines from the uss illinois =)

httpswwwnavymilnavydatashipsbattleshipsillinoisill-1919jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    Options
    it amazes me what people think is junk, for 400 dollars i bought a 55 inch swing vertical lathe (1927), a 4 inch horizontal boring mill with a 48 inch rotating table(1940's) and a vertical cintamatic mill with a 27x48 inch table and tape drive that was easy to hook up to an early computer. i started a machine shop for 400 dollars.  seems it comes natural to me, even an old belt driven lathe can be converted into a weld lathe.  i have a late 1800's iron worker that used to form the heads on the steam locomotives that is set ep now to swedge american pipe down to those stupid metric sizes to fit those light weight flanges to convert european boilers to north american piping systems.

does anybody here have a press brake from a battleship, mines from the uss illinois =)

Now for $400 you could buy the whole bankrupt state of Illinois instead of just a part from the old Illinois battle ship! :s
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options

Would love to see a pic of all your "toys" you mentioned in your post!  
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Living in a house over 120 years old, you do not have the storage space you need to be able to live with all the gadgets from the late 20th century through current. 

They had no mixers, blenders processors, vacuum storage machines, vacuum cleaners, fans, window AC units, lawn mowers, blowers, edgers, trimmers, exercise equipment, personal fridges, etc,. 

Homes like ours has a basement full, garage full, and attic full of stuff.

Like others who have posted about the strife of cleaning out and preparing for a move, we have a few years left to go before moving with retirement, but, we have dumped so much stuff, given away so much stuff, and donated so much stuff.....it is amazing how much more we have to go.

We are getting there. Eventually.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky