Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking food on the ceramic plate setter?

Options
A local bbq/catering company posted some pics of them searing ahi tuna right on the ceramic plate setter. I’ve seen the cast iron plate setters used this way but not the ceramic. It might make a pretty good cooking surface. Any of you doing this? 

I quit using drip pans years ago. I do put some foil down just to keep it from getting totally gross but the underside is well seasoned. 

Comments

• Tacojacket21
    Options
    I’ve been wondering about this as well. Can I get out of buying a pizza stone?
    Roswell, GA- 1 vintage Medium BGE
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    For pizza you kind of need two stones. The bottom one acts as a deflector for the top one.

Mountain View, CA
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    Not sure why, but I just don't think it's a good idea.  I've cooked directly on the cast iron plate setter, but ceramic just doesn't sound appealing to me.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Did pizza on my medium with legs down and it worked.  It's not my current method though.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    There is certainly no harm or no foul for cooking on the ceramic plate setter. Thousands upon thousands of people cook everyday in crock pots that have ceramic ware in them. 
    On a separate but similar note, many people cook in clay pots. What’s my point? You can cook on anything if you like the end result. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.