Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

help me buy a pepper mill, please!

FanOfFanboys
FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
I am ready to move on past the mccormick pepper grinder

I am thinking a peugeot but 1) is that the way to go? 2) what model to get?

I have heard the peugeot will last the rest of my natural life, which seems like a good deal. 
Boom

Comments

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    I'll add I don't want electric and I don't want it in black or clear. I like the brown wood look
    Boom
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    I gave up on grinders, just throw peppercorns into a pestle and mortar and crush as desired, fine or coarse.  Easier to mix as well, as I sometimes use plain black corns and sometimes a Bristol 5 Pepper blend which mixes black, white, green and pink peppercorns with some allspice berries.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I got Peugeot for a wedding gift 20yrs ago and still going strong. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 456
    Peugeot, you won’t regret it. Pepper and salt grinders have been used daily for nearly 30yrs. 
    IL 
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    I am ready to move on past the mccormick pepper grinder

I am thinking a peugeot but 1) is that the way to go? 2) what model to get?

I have heard the peugeot will last the rest of my natural life, which seems like a good deal. 
    I have one for black pepper and one for white pepper. The quality of the build is exceptional. I highly recommend Peugeot manual pepper mills.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    edited July 2020
    i have a salt and pepper set from perfex that i like and an old turkish cofee grinder that i use for pepper at the house

Perfex Peppermill 45 in

the camp ive been using the molcajete that sgh made me buy, that volanic rock works really well grinding up spices
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    edited July 2020
    oh, and the really big one.  its been quarter to two on my zolof clock going on maybe 18 years now =)

Pepper Mills or Grinder  Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The

fukahwee maine

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Go to amazon and type Peugeot peppermill

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    edited July 2020
    Peugeot stainless, can't miss. I have some in wood as well. Sometimes the base cracks on the wooden ones. Caught some great deals on Ebay.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • marcdc
    marcdc Posts: 126
    I've had issues with two Peugeot pepper mills, and find it a pain to clean the gears. 

Fletcher makes a great mill, is made in the USA, and ive had it for 10 years with no problems, and it's super easy to clean

https://fletchersmill.com/
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I have had a smaller UNICORN grinder like @smbishop posted the link to. Mine is probably 18 years old and still does a great job. It will undoubtedly out last my need for ground pepper! =)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    RRP said:
    I have had a smaller UNICORN grinder like @smbishop posted the link to. Mine is probably 18 years old and still does a great job. It will undoubtedly out last my need for ground pepper! =)
    As I recall, that's the one the folks at Bon Appetit recommend. Always heard that Peugeot was overrated. Never owned either.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    smbishop said:
    I have a similar one that Amazon says I got in February 2010 and I have had no issues or complaints.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• RRP
    oh, and the really big one.  its been quarter to two on my zolof clock going on maybe 18 years now =)

You make that? That's quite the BOOS table you got there as well!
  • fishlessman
    RRP said:

the peppermill was a gift.mostly use it to put my hat on it.  hope the boos table lasts a liftime
    fukahwee maine

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited July 2020
    I keep a Peugeot by the stove for when I'm cooking inside, but for grilling or BBQ it's way too slow. I grind enough peppercorns in a spice grinder to fill up a 1/2 pint mason jar and use it for a couple months until it needs to be refilled. Just reach in and grab a big pinch and apply like you would kosher salt. I don't notice a drop in quality or pungency in that short amount of time. 

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    I was going through a grinder every year until I got a set (pepper + salt) of Peugeot (wood) a couple of years ago. I barely use the salt one but pepper is getting used daily.  They have a dark finish and they are still looking like new. 

SonVolt said:
    I keep a Peugeot by the stove for when I'm cooking inside, but for grilling or BBQ it's way too slow. I grind enough peppercorns in a spice grinder to fill up a 1/2 pint mason jar and use it for a couple months until it needs to be refilled. Just reach in and grab a big pinch and apply like you would kosher salt. I don't notice a drop in quality or pungency in that short amount of time. 

someone posted a south african braai rub a few yers ago that i use regularly now and this has been my storage method as well and grinding in that mexican mortar makes it easy to punch out a couple months worth. i store the rub in the jar in the fridge, the corriander stays up and doesnt fade like the store bought ground
    fukahwee maine

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    I bought a Peugeot decades ago and it is fine but I have come to prefer this little thing:

Made by Oxo and a whopping $12. I keep it loaded with black pepper and it is easy to see when it's running out and easy to refill.

A few years ago I bought this cast iron piece:
    I'll use it when I want a small amount of something other than the black pepper in the Oxo. It was $45 when I bought mine but I see the price on Amazon is at $65. It's made by Skeppshult, a Swedish cast iron manufacturer that makes some neat stuff.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    Which one did u get @nolaegghead it was square with a crank on the side or something 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Which one did u get @nolaegghead it was square with a crank on the side or something 
    Peppermate.  I love it, really good for high volume.
    edited July 2020
    HeavyG said:
    A few years ago I bought this cast iron piece:
    I'll use it when I want a small amount of something other than the black pepper in the Oxo. It was $45 when I bought mine but I see the price on Amazon is at $65. It's made by Skeppshult, a Swedish cast iron manufacturer that makes some neat stuff.

That's nice. Not that I need a grinder, but it is nice.
  • RRP
    RRP said:

the peppermill was a gift.mostly use it to put my hat on it.  hope the boos table lasts a liftime
    "put my hat on it"! =)

It reminds me of an antique 4 poster bed frame we inherited from Pat's grandmother years ago! We still proudly use that bed frame in our guest bedroom as it was built when craftsmenship showed. I just imagine expressed in today's dollars that bed frame by itself cost more than our whole set of master bedroom furniture!
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,358
    I have a Peugeot and it doesn’t work well. Maybe I should try and clean the gears?  Bought this about a year ago and really like it. Lots of capacity, small footprint, removable base to capture pepper and easy grind adjustment. So far it’s been great!

In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    A thousand years or so ago, the Frugal Gourmet recommended a Turkish coffee grinder for pepper (like this one: https://tinyurl.com/yb8dcrpx) and I have used a  similar one for years. I also have a wooden Silver Oak bottle pepper grinder. It doesn't work as well, but it looks good on the table.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • smittydog27
    smittydog27 Posts: 100
    I have/use the Fletcher's Mill grinders.  work great. 
  • Funny this conversation came up... I just did my own research and bought a new one two weeks ago.  I ended up with this one.  So far I love it.  The ability to change the grind with a quick turn is awesome.  Highly recommend.

https://www.amazon.com/COLE-MASON-Ardingly-Pepper-Grinder/dp/B019Z2IJWY/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=COLE+%26+MASON+Ardingly+Wood+Pepper+Grinder&qid=1593702574&sr=8-2

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    Funny this conversation came up... I just did my own research and bought a new one two weeks ago.  I ended up with this one.  So far I love it.  The ability to change the grind with a quick turn is awesome.  Highly recommend.

https://www.amazon.com/COLE-MASON-Ardingly-Pepper-Grinder/dp/B019Z2IJWY/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=COLE+%26+MASON+Ardingly+Wood+Pepper+Grinder&qid=1593702574&sr=8-2

Glad to see Cole & Mason also make a wooden model, which the OP wanted.  It won Cook's Illustrated shootout, and I love mine but it's clear plastic so I didn't mention it.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure