Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: PSA - new fancy phishing scheme - supposedly FedX and Amazon

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
Perhaps others have experienced this double whammy, but if not then read on.

Yesterday I received (what really looked quite legit) a notification from FedX that a 24 pound shipment sent right then was supposed to be delivered today. I didn't order anything so I was highly suspect. Most times if you click as if to reply but NEVER click on any enclosed link you can see some idiot's name and email who was trying to pull the scam. This one actually looked legit, but I still didn't bite.

Then this morning I got a notice from Amazon saying my package along with the order number had been delivered and was I happy with it? Again it looked fairly legit. 

Well no package was delivered and no, I still didn't bite.

I then signed into my real account at Amazon and of course I had not placed any order. Besides that I seldom buy from Amazon - in fact just one small order in 2020 and that was in January. OTOH I'm sure that people who do order often - like my neighbor who must get 6 deliveries a week - I'm NOT kidding! - might easily fall for this scam.

The crooks are getting better at this crap so be careful out there in Eggdom!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @RRP - appreciate the alertment.
    Related, we will see how long this thread survives as I have had a thread which called out the 5 letter company gone within two hours-and no bogus posts.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • WesJohnson
    WesJohnson Posts: 130
    Options
    ok boomer
    I used to be able to name every nut that there was. 
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Only six deliveries a week? He must not use amazon that much. :)
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    I got an email yesterday that I figured was bogus as it was addressed "Dear Costumer".

Here at work I have my outside IT company send test phishing emails to different workers, and we find out who is susceptible to these things. They get a warning and a bit of extra training if they open anything.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I've been getting a ton of calls this week from a number from the same area code and same first three numbers as my cell that is an alert from the social security administration.  I've blocked all of these different numbers.  They have to run out of numbers at some time.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,946
    Options
    Thanks for the heads-up Ron.  Very easy for people to be a little bit careless with these kind of things and all of sudden their computer is corrupted.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    the google robo calling scam is really annoying... please, do not hang up the phone....i cant get rid of it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,648
    Options
    I got a email from a contractor we are working with. Something along the lines of for your review and signature.  I clicked he link and it took me to a Microsoft credentials sign in page.  URL didn’t look right so I called. They had been hacked.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.