Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT! Looking for a WiFi Game Cam OT!

Options
Hotch
Hotch Posts: 3,564
Looking to buy a WiFi, not Bluetooth or 2G/3G/4G cellular.
Will need to have it on my home network. 
Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
BGE Chiminea
Prosper, TX

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I'm not sure what a game cam is.  You mean for outside, to watch deer or something?
    NOLA
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    I use a Blink XT-2 (attached to a tree) from Amazon for video shots of wildlife at our CO place.  Weatherproof, battery powered, motion detection, decent night vision, and the app has been upgraded to now offer on/off option based on time and day.  

LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • Hotch
    Options
    This will be mounted close to my house and within the reach of my WiFi network. I have somewhat of canal next to me with some unwanted activity.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,346
    Options
    Blink and Ring come to mind. Both have self-powered wifi cams. There are also a lot of options on Amazon with lesser known brands
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Hotch
    Options
    MO_Eggin said:
    I use a Blink XT-2 (attached to a tree) from Amazon for video shots of wildlife at our CO place.  Weatherproof, battery powered, motion detection, decent night vision, and the app has been upgraded to now offer on/off option based on time and day.  

Thanks I'll check it out.

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Hotch
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Blink and Ring come to mind. Both have self-powered wifi cams. There are also a lot of options on Amazon with lesser known brands
    Thanks!
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    look into wyze cams.very cheap.but work awesome I have a few at my house.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • diverstephen
    Options
    My wife was interested in installing a camera up at our condo in the mountains to get some pictures of the bears, deer and other critters that wander around. We tried out several wi-fi wildlife cameras at different price points and manufactures with little or no success. I was really disappointed in the interfaces on the camera itself and the apps to retrieve the pictures/videos were horrible. Based on a couple of recommendations, we just picked up a Logitech Circle 2. We are heading up on the 4th and plan to install it then. Happy to report back on how it works 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Hotch said:
    This will be mounted close to my house and within the reach of my WiFi network. I have somewhat of canal next to me with some unwanted activity.
    We have a similar situation and am currently looking to add a camera. Looked at trail  cameras first but am now leaning towards wireless home security cameras. At the moment my preference is either Arlo brand or Eufy brand systems. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    texaswig said:
    look into wyze cams.very cheap.but work awesome I have a few at my house.

I have a few Wyze cams and agree they are a decent cam at a really good price.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    I have both blink and wyze. They both are very good. Blink is all wireless with very long battery life  Wyze just came out with a new outdoor wireless with a 6 month battery life (blink batteries are 2 years). The blink app is nicer

In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Hotch
    Options
    Thanks for all the info.
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Just take the battery life claims with a huge grain of salt.  They are based on specific use levels, picture quality levels (not the max), operating temperature, signal strength, etc.  For example, if you decide to live stream the Blink it will last for about 11 hours.  Eleven hours to two years is a very big range.  Make sure you place any wireless camera within easy reach for battery changes.  

Some brands can be attached to solar power or line power and still maintain their weather proofing, others not.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.