Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I wanna make killer Onion Soup......Whatcha Got?

Options
YukonRon
YukonRon Posts: 16,989
I brag on you chefs all the freakin' time. Time to step up....post a recipe and prove to all, you got it going on.

Well.....I am waiting......

Seriously though, I would like to make it for the 4th of July, and the recipes I have found on the net......Meh.

As always; Thank you in advance.
"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Campbells Condensed French Onion Soup, 10.5 oz. Can Pack of 12
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • YukonRon
    Options
    thetrim said:
    There ain't a word in the English language that that represents failure, as much as this can, of whatever that is it contains. 

Thank you for posting.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    Options
     time permitting I would start with a homemade demi glace, all downhill from there 

https://youtu.be/aFaqxBXIM3E

https://youtu.be/EZe8WvC7gDo
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited June 2020
    Options
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    Tried the foodlab version with instant pot cooked onions.  No bueno, liquified them and there is no good way to manage them while cooking.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited June 2020
    Options
    This one is great. I’ve fed this to groups of 20 before and had nothing but compliments

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited June 2020
    Options
    First start with Vidalia onions....which are readily available now.
    • In a cast iron skillet, sweat them with butter and some chopped fresh garlic, salt, pepper and a dash or few of L&P Worcestershire Sauce.
    • In a separate pot, (I am lazy, so i use) several cans of Campbells Beef Consomme (as opposed to making it myself). You can go half Consomme and half Beef Stock if you prefer....but at least half. Heat on low.
    • When the onions have found joy, combine with the liquid and let simmer for an hour or so with top on. 

The end game......
    • ladle the soup (hot) into some soup bowls.....
    • Top with french bread cubes (I usually cut into cubes and place in oven for about 15 min on low to dry them out a bit). You can also use the bread if several days old without this step).
    • Place bread cubes on top of the soup, and grate fresh Parmesan cheese (on top of the croutons.) I go liberally, but this is not the final cheese step
    • Top with Swiss Cheese slices (or other cheese of your choice).
    • Place in oven (broil) to melt and brown your cheese.
    • Pull and let it rest for several minutes (if you can) before finding joy.

Really very simple to make. You have flexibility with your cheeses and breads....but really, your goodness is found in your onions and broth.

Hope this is helpful.

Edit: You can add some red wine but personally, i just drink mine.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    From the food lab:

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    do a pho broth, then continue down the path of french onion soup

Options
    2 words. Julia Child
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    dont have my recipe here but it uses red onions and vidalla onions browned on the stove top and i add in whole roasted cipollinis. some cheap sherry and a splash of cognac doest hurt
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Ours is 2.5 lbs white onion, very thinly sliced.  Melt 1/2 stick butter in your pan, add the onions and 1 tsp sugar.  Saute over medium heat for 20 minutes, until the onions are soft and translucent.

Then add 2 cloves of minced garlic, 2 tsp kosher salt, 1 tsp ground black pepper, drop the heat to low and let cook for at least 1 hour 40 minutes, stirring no more than every 20 minutes.  This is the important step; really caramelize the onions and cook them down to a thick paste.

Stir in 2 teaspoons flour and cook for 1 minute.  Add 3/4 c white wine or sherry to loosen any bits.  Add 2 quarts good quality stock (generally we use a good beef broth, but I've made it with turkey or chicken stock from our freezer and it turns out well).  Bring to a boil, decrease the heat to maintain a slow simmer, for 45 minutes.  Add 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar, and taste; add more vinegar, salt, or pepper to your taste.

I am 100% in agreement with the above poster who cut their bread into croutons.  I hate when the slice gets soggy, and you need a knife and fork to cut that, and then a spoon to eat the soup.  If you're doing this for company, we like to pan fry cubed bread in olive oil to make your croutons, but we do usually just bake the cubes on a rack for ease of clean up.  Add a good helping of croutons and cover with shredded gruyere,  broil until cheese is melted and browned to your liking.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 901
    Options
    I don't remember where I got this recipe, but I've been using it for years. Always a winner.

French Onion Soup

• 2 TBS butter
    • 5 med red onions (3 lbs) sliced thin
    • 8 cups Rich Beef Stock  (see below)
    • 2 sprigs fresh parsley
    • 1 sprig fresh thyme
    • 1 bay leaf
    • 1 TBS balsamic vinegar
    • Melt butter in Dutch oven over med-hi heat
    • Add onion and ½ tsp salt. Stir to coat onion with butter
    • Reduce onion to syrup and pot has deep brown crust (30-35 min)
    • Stir in stock and herbs, scraping bottom with wooden spoon
    • Bring to simmer and discard herbs after 20 min
    • Stir in vinegar and add salt/pepper to taste.

Rich Beef Stock

• 2 TBS olive oil
    • 6 lbs beef shank or 4 lbs chuck & 2 lbs marrow bones
    • 1 large onion, halved
    • 1 cup dark beer
    • 2 quarts boiling water (or more to fill pot)
    • 2 tsps salt
    • Heat oil in Dutch oven over med-hi heat
    • Brown meat and onion (15-20 min)
    • Add beer to empty pot and reduce to syrup (1-2 min)
    • Return bones, meat, onion to pot
    • Reduce heat to low, cover, leave for 20 min
    • Raise heat to med-hi, add water and salt
    • Bring to simmer, reduce heat to low, partially cover and simmer gently 2 hours
    • Discard onions and bones, remove meat, strain liquid into bowl
    • Shred half of meat for use in soup, save rest for sandwiches
    • Defat stock.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    I haven’t read the posts above so hopefully it has not already been posted but the Ruhlman recipe from his book Twenty is delicious.  No beef broth/stock in the recipe so you get a pure super rich caramelized onions flavor.  Somewhat long process though.

https://ruhlman.com/2011/10/06/french-onion-soup-recipe/

Options
    I use purple onions cooked low and slow in butter. Do not overcook them regardless of what some recipes call for. A light golden brown is perfect. Deglaze with a cup of red wine and cook down to about half of the wine left. Add in fresh thyme and if you don't want to spend a couple of days making a pho or demi glace this is a good broth you can get in the store.

https://www.pacificfoods.com/our-products/bone-broths/organic-bone-broth-beef/

Cook down until semi thick, add salt pepper and a bit more dried thyme. A good sourdough bread toasted on top of the bowls you have put the soup in and top with Gruyere cheese. Under the broiler until melted but not burnt. 

Simple but tasty. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    I'm partial to the Cook's Illustrated french onion soup.
    You'll spend a few hours browning the onions - most of that time is in a dutch oven in the oven but the results are worth it.
    I'll occasionally just do the browned onions part of the recipe just to make a jar full of that deliciousness for use on burgers, etc.
    If you're not a subscriber to Cook's Illustrated ere's a link not behind their paywall - https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/best-french-onion-soup-cooks-illustrated-5c89d551e134d95bd901be5e

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    If you're not a subscriber to Cook's Illustrated here's a link not behind their paywall - https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/best-french-onion-soup-cooks-illustrated-5c89d551e134d95bd901be5e

Thanks for that.  I have been a subscriber to CI since '99, but my mag subscription still does not give me access to their website, will have to check again tomorrow.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     French onion soup is one of those things that is quite simple in the ingredients. It just needs those to be high quality ingredients. And then don't rush the preparation.

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • Sameday
    Sameday Posts: 43
    Options
    Watch chef show on Netflix.  They make onion soup. Pretty entertaining show too.  
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Bump and question - did you make it yet?
    @YukonRon
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Bump and question - did you make it yet?
    @YukonRon
    Kinda left us hanging.......must be out shoppin for peach preserves. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,036
    Options
    My one piece of advice, make sure all the tough outer onion peel is gone.  I over peel when making FOS because a stray tough onion peel ruins the whole soup for me.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac I agree. I usually cull a few onion strands when I’m caramelizing them. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • YukonRon
    Options
    I have not made any yet. I am making it for Suzy more than me. I kinda got derailed with the events in Louisville.

Another run on the stores to stock up has started around here due to the fear of another upcoming lockdown due to the virus.

This city has gone berserk. When I get started, I will make each, and post her favorite. 

Thinking freezing some and using them for ice in Robin's Bloody Maries......

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Options
    thetrim said:

On an unrelated note. I’ve substituted these cans for broth in my holiday stuffing recipe and it is absolutely amazing. 
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Options
    Somewhat related. Best french onion soup I’ve ever had was at Bon Appetit in Dunedin FL.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,036
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    I have not made any yet. I am making it for Suzy more than me. I kinda got derailed with the events in Louisville.

Another run on the stores to stock up has started around here due to the fear of another upcoming lockdown due to the virus.

This city has gone berserk. When I get started, I will make each, and post her favorite. 

Thinking freezing some and using them for ice in Robin's Bloody Maries......

In my town, they put a moritorium on COVID when the riots started.  So, you could maybe vote at a city council meeting for what you want.  COVID or riots.  They seem mutually exclusive.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • tcmagee
    tcmagee Posts: 9
    Options
    I also like the Cook's Illustrated recipe.  I have made it  many times and it is always good.  I also take some of the soup and dilute it a bit with water, booze, beer, etc and braise a beef chuck, pork shoulder or any other slab in this liquid with a bunch of extra onions.  The whole pot makes great sandwiches on a crust roll.  
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Standing by. 

I’ve always thought you have to use sherry in the recipe to distinguish the soup. 
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
    Standing by. 

I’ve always thought you have to use sherry in the recipe to distinguish the soup. 
     I have used Port wine most times if I plan it. Sherry or Cognac or Brandy as next choices. Always something good in the house. Alton Brown suggested apple cider which I tried and liked as well.
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim