Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

IT help with home WiFi -OT

Options
2»

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I would eliminate the Nighthawk, assuming the Eero can act as a gateway.
    NOLA
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    Options
    Eliminate
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    You want to replace the nighthawk all together.
    Mountain View, CA
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    turn off the nighthawk wireless AP and DHCP server and use it as a switch somewhere, like near a TV or computer where there are increasingly more devices needed internet connectivity.  It seems like every place I have a TV or computer, there are 3-4 devices that need a connection and wired destroys wireless for reliability and speed.  I use an old nighthawk behind my computer as a gigabit switch.  It has my Ooma telo, computer, smart tv, laser printer, and a tivo so everything gets a good wired connection.  
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,429
    Options
    Ok. Due to fiber to the home as my ISP, I have no modem. Had to double NAT on top of my existing network. All 3 satellites connected with ease and are going strong. Signal strength and speeds are good throughout the house. 

Have an email into Eero tech support to see if I can plug Cat 5 from fiber directly into Eero and eliminate the Nighthawk as my router. Gonna have to either invest in a switch or convert the Nighthawk into one
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    yes, the eero is a router

https://eero.com/shop/individual-eero

"eero is the little router"

google wifi does NOT require internet to maintain the lan connection

• etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    Options
    Orbi has one base unit as modem. Then satellites 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    You shouldn't need the nighthawk.  There is a fiber modem/interface in your house, it just may not be providing a DHCP and firewall services.  Whatever was going into the nighthawk would connect into the eero directly.  Your eero will provide all of the services the nighthawk once did.  My fiber modem is attached to the side of the wall by my furnace, I just have a CAT6 cable coming from that to my router (eero in your case).  
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Guys, is there a book, or a website, that explains all this stuff from the ground up?  I'd like to understand it better for my own use, but right now it's all flying right over my head.  Thanks!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Options
    That said, 25 mbps handles 4k compressed video, so unless you are a geek about bandwidth, nothing wrong with running a notoriously inefficient wireless  mesh network because it will suffice and you don't have to be an IT person to setup.
    This^^
    With very little skill, aptitude or patience for this stuff, I installed an eero system in 10 minutes — gateway and 2 beacons — and it Solved 90% of my issues with poor Wi-Fi in my long 2 story house + basement. Put another 2 beacons in and garage, out building and yard is covered. 

Just ran a test and lookie there, it tells me it’s fast. (The eero app is pretty cool tbh. But I’m easily amused and not too good at the IT stuff.)

Anyway, with 2 college-aged streamers and gamers here riding out the virus (and one officially quarantined) no one’s chirping at dad about the crappy Wi-Fi anymore and that was the point of the exercise. 

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • fiber_induced_deuce
    Options
    Did you know you can order groceries on the computer now?
  • Leopoldstoch
    Leopoldstoch Posts: 1,182
    Options

Wi-Fi 6 Orbi System. Consistently get 400+ wirelessly throughout entire home and yard.

1 main hub and 1 satellite 

Brandon - Ohio

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Botch said:
    Guys, is there a book, or a website, that explains all this stuff from the ground up?  I'd like to understand it better for my own use, but right now it's all flying right over my head.  Thanks!  
    A quick search turned up this which looks pretty good:

https://stevessmarthomeguide.com/home-wireless-networking/

Feel free to ask any questions.
    Mountain View, CA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Anyway, with 2 college-aged streamers and gamers here riding out the virus (and one officially quarantined) no one’s chirping at dad about the crappy Wi-Fi anymore and that was the point of the exercise. 

You win. This shuts down any and all arguments.
  • kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
    @HendersonTRKing , which system did you get the eero or eero pro?
    Need to solve poor signal and speed for all these kids stuck home driving me nuts?

2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ