Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just scored some peach tree wood

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,897
Neighbor had half of his old peach tree cut down today as that side had died 3 years ago. I hollered over that I'd love to have that wood! So I now have 24 feet of dry peach wood to cut up and chunk out. That should last me for years!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Save the hassle of cutting the wood down into chunks and go grab yourself a stick burner. It only seems appropriate.  =)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Ron congratulations on the score. On that note, i dont know if the wood will last for years or not. However i am absolutely certain that your money will last forever  =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Happy to hear you got wood. Peach is my go to for pork butts if I have it on hand. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    Nice - peach is one of my favorites! 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Seems like you'll have wood all day and all night for many years to come.  Congrats.  Whatever happened to the old saying that if your wood last more than a few hours, you need to contact a doctor?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    Options
    Don’t make my mistake. My son and I cut down an apple tree for a neighbor some time ago.  I stored the lengths outside on top of some short poles to keep them off the ground. This spring I finally went to chunk up the apple only to find that it had all gotten soft and ruined.  I was really looking forward to having that apple wood.  

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    Options
    I store smoking wood in the garage or even inside the house. Lasts forever, but I do not have an entire tree's worth of wood.
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,659
    Options
    FarmerTom said:
    Don’t make my mistake. My son and I cut down an apple tree for a neighbor some time ago.  I stored the lengths outside on top of some short poles to keep them off the ground. This spring I finally went to chunk up the apple only to find that it had all gotten soft and ruined.  I was really looking forward to having that apple wood.  
    Keep it in the hay-mow 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• bradleya123
    bradleya123 Posts: 466
    Options
    Got wood?  What a great neighbor!!
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• HogFather
    HogFather Posts: 260
    Options
    RRP said:
    Neighbor had half of his old peach tree cut down today as that side had died 3 years ago. I hollered over that I'd love to have that wood! So I now have 24 feet of dry peach wood to cut up and chunk out. That should last me for years!
    We really need to know how many board feet, Ron. Saying you have 24 ft doesn't really give us an idea of how much wood you really have. I mean, 24ft of 1" limbs is not the same as having 24ft of 8" logs

Fighting off the trolls 1 by 1
    Large Egg

Pig, KY 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    It would be a pretty massive peach tree to yield 24 feet of 8 inch logs.
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options
    I have a peach and a cherry enjoying their last season standing right now. Both have been worthless at producing anything but wood. Since I don't own a chainsaw, chunking them up with a hand saw doesn't sound like fun. Anyone have a good recommendation for what blade to put in my bandsaw for green wood? The jigsaw is also an option, but is only slightly less tiring then a handsaw.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    FarmerTom said:
    I have had good luck storing mine in large rubber maid containers in the garage FWIW.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    Options
    Kayak said:
    I have a peach and a cherry enjoying their last season standing right now. Both have been worthless at producing anything but wood. Since I don't own a chainsaw, chunking them up with a hand saw doesn't sound like fun. Anyone have a good recommendation for what blade to put in my bandsaw for green wood? The jigsaw is also an option, but is only slightly less tiring then a handsaw.
    borrow or rent a chainsaw to cut it down and in pieces. use an ax or hatchet once it is dried. 
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Kayak said:

@Kayak

This lopper works awesome for smaller jobs around the yard. My mom uses them on smaller limbs so my dad doesn't have to fire up the chainsaw. 

https://youtu.be/QfphMoCc9e8 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/BLACK-DECKER-6-in-4-5-Amp-Corded-Electric-Alligator-Garden-Lopper-LP1000/100465076?mtc=Shopping-B-F_D28I-G-D28I-28_32_PORTABLE-MULTI-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-BASE_SHP&cm_mmc=Shopping-B-F_D28I-G-D28I-28_32_PORTABLE-MULTI-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-BASE_SHP-71700000041074945-58700004788398019-92700040946149116&gclid=CjwKCAjw88v3BRBFEiwApwLevfem5gOoFJ062GGkGph0XHiiVYCC1dQd-UDOb4eEnc3_Iuxtt8LUUxoCJh4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,659
    Options
    @Kayak I just use a chop saw/ miter box
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    As it happens, I've been looking at handsaws for firewood lately. Depending on the size of the tree in question and how many cuts you need to make to buck it up, have a look at the Silky saw line:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaIFOaW4fOY

Katanaboy is one of the biggest/most aggressive.
    Mountain View, CA
  • EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    If you find a 'need' to 'get rid' of some of that peach before it could potentially 'go bad' you let me know and I will stop by and visit to 'help out'. Was across the street last week as I went fishing with Doc for a week. Give my best to Pat. It is my first post in a while...take care @RRP
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Thanks for your kind offer! Pat and I had wondered recently if maybe you had left IL since you had not posted for SO LONG!

Did you take Dr P fishing before his step daughter’s wedding, or just to get him away from his m-i-l living there all these weeks? LOL
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Nice score Ron.  I have access to peach trees from an organic farm now.  This past winter the guy said I could have the rest of this row - to take as many as I wanted.  Yep - I struck gold. 

So I went to town. 

I ended up getting three full trees in my small pickup less the main trunk. He gives those to a woodworker who like you Ron, turns them on a lathe and makes bowls. 

Took several branches and chopped them with a chop saw then split with a hatchet.  They split very easy when green. One half-hearted swing and the pieces split.  Then I put them in milk crates to dry. 

This method has worked well for me.

Also, when we have the fire pit going, or the wood stove, I throw some branches on about 10 mins before people start arriving. It smells wonderful. 

This arrangement works great. He wants them gone, I get rid of them (well, some of them) and I get what I want. In turn, I give him fresh fish. Then during peach season, I can pick the peaches I want off the trees.  He has 14 varieties now. 3-4 more weeks and the first varieties should be ready.  
    I Can. Not. Wait. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:

I Can. Not. Wait. 
    I look forward to the aroma in the house. See you in November.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Ron....Peach wood is my favorite for all pork....and peach cobbler as well. Nice score. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow