Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low and slow chicken stall?

Options
Doing a low and slow chicken for the first time. Breast hit 152 and hour and a half ago. Up two degrees since then. Does chicken have a stall?

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    With a low and slow chicken you just have to chill and have faith. Cook it until when you wiggle the legs that the joints are loose. 
    If you’re really running low and slow it can take 6 hours or so. 
    I’ve never measured temps all the way through a cook so I cannot tell you if a chicken stalls or not - it wouldn’t surprise me though. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 632
    Options
    I have a FlameBoss so I can see the line flatten on the graph. Cooking at 205 and was getting worried since I knew it was supposed to take hours. After two, I was at 145, so I thought dinner was going to be ready at 4:30... all good, just didn’t realize there would be a stall with a chicken. 

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Sounds like @SciAggie got you covered.  I honestly couldn’t answer your question because I’ve never run electronics on a low n slow chicken.  

Your putting in the effort and I really hope you enjoy the reward as much as I do.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Did chicken quarters this weekend, 225 for 2 hours ..bumped to 300 for a bit 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    For me, any Q cook is an analog and relaxing adventure.  Fire the fire, and after 3-4 hours see where you are temp-wise.  Then onward.  If it were rocket science it would be too controlling.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    It never occurred to me that a chicken may stall (unless there's a lot of traffic before he "crosses the road").
    A lo-und-slo cook stalls when the heat going into the protein (from the fire) roughly equals the cooling of the protein (from water evaporating as the temp gets warmer).  So, no reason to think a cheekun can't stall.  With briskets and butts, however, there's a lot of collagen which begins to melt at the same time, keeping the meat lubricated as the moisture (water) leaves.  
    Cheekuns, however, have no (or very little) collagen, so when the moisture leaves it has nothing to replace it with.  It would seem to me that, after the stall, the bird will just get drier and drier.
    @Dawgtired, how did your bird turn out?  I've never tried a low-und-slo cheekun, myself.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    205 is really low- not a ton of spread between 205 and 160 for the breast so will take awhile. You can always bump the temp up to 225-250 to finish. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 632
    Options
    I wound up pulling it when the breast hit 162....and it was in fact a little on the dry side. 

Ronald Reagan