Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

20 CFM for large - too big?

Options
I’m about to replace my Smobot as it’s electronic issues have now extended from the power supply to literally every probe including grill temp. I can’t take the frustration any longer. 

I think the Fireboard 2 Drive will be the replacement - Battery power wins the day for Fireboard. But Fireboard seems to only sell a 20 CFM fan motor. Is that too much for a Large?

New Orleans LA

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    Way more fan than you need , don't know much about firebird but of its just an on off pulse , any third party fan would work and you can get 10 cfm fans....the 20 may work fine but certainly don't need that much, my Stumps XL Strtecth uses a 25 CFM. Fan 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • 6baluts
    6baluts Posts: 272
    Options
    Concur on way too much fun.
    That fan fireboard sells is an auber instruments fan. Auber offers a 6.5 cfm or a 10 cfm option. Either will be fine.
    You could also go with the BBQ Guru "pit viper" 10 cfm fan.
    I have the fireboard its a decent controller. I also have the Smobot and its a fantastic controller. I am sorry you are having problems with it. Have had zero problems with it approaching 100 cooks.
    Have you talked to Curtis or Eric at Smobot?

• Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    6baluts said:
    Concur on way too much fun.
    That fan fireboard sells is an auber instruments fan. Auber offers a 6.5 cfm or a 10 cfm option. Either will be fine.
    You could also go with the BBQ Guru "pit viper" 10 cfm fan.
    I have the fireboard its a decent controller. I also have the Smobot and its a fantastic controller. I am sorry you are having problems with it. Have had zero problems with it approaching 100 cooks.
    Have you talked to Curtis or Eric at Smobot?

I just heard from Eric and posted about the response. Short version - great service from Smobot!
    New Orleans LA
  • 6baluts
    6baluts Posts: 272
    Options
    Glad you spoke with Eric. When you get the new unit, reach out if you need help.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Too much for a L or even an XL.....but it's variable speed, then it doesn't matter.  I've run a 21 CFM fan with my FB500 on a LBGE before--once it learns what it's on, then it throttles down.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    My auber fan for my controller is variable speed.  For my Auber, I can dial back the fan max to like 25%, and then it is just kind of barely spinning from time to time.  So it doesnt matter how big the fan is.  I just looked at my order history for my auber, and I only have a 10 CFM rated for an XL (Im confident it would be enough for the 2XL as well):