Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABT question

Options
I always lose filling out the top of the pepper.  Is there a trick to wrapping the bacon or am I just overfilling them?  Got some on now before spinning some wings later for dinner.

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    Options
    I use thin bacon, full pieces wrap and pull tight....
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    The trick is to find the temperature and cook time that will render the fat and crisp the bacon before it overcooks the pepper and it gets mushy and the cheese boils out.

Par cooking the bacon helps.
    As @lkapigian said, I also like thin cut bacon. 
    Don’t used whipped or low fat cream cheese.
    Some will freeze a little Smokey Sausage inside.

Just have to find the combo that works for you.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Sorry to have not tried to answer sooner - our crappy COMCAST has been down for 13 hours! My question has to do with what you call the top? I never cut the stem end off so my horizontal halves are like "boats" and I never lose the contents of my boats!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    @RRP asks a good question and makes a good point. If you are careful in how you prep the peppers, you can retain the stem end wall and use it to keep more goodness inside the ABT. The bacon should seal it all in. Overlap, stretch, wrap. No toothpicks here.
    Mountain View, CA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    dmourati said:
    @RRP asks a good question and makes a good point. If you are careful in how you prep the peppers, you can retain the stem end wall and use it to keep more goodness inside the ABT. The bacon should seal it all in. Overlap, stretch, wrap. No toothpicks here.
    What I do is to take a sharp knife and carefully slip it under the "doily" part of the stem and turn so as to remove it. That #$%^&* PhotoBucket won't let me post any of my how to pictures!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    I do get a few that may spew a little out of the top. It was never a big concern. I cook them at about 260* for a couple of hours. I core the peppers and get rid of all the seeds and then turn them upside down to get rid of all the water. When filling I use any small diameter object I find in the kitchen to push the cream cheese to the bottom of the pepper so there is no air or water pocket. I do prefer the peppers cored rather than cutting them in half; much more work doing it this way but is worth it.
  • EzraBrooks
    EzraBrooks Posts: 380
    Options
    RRP said:
    Sorry to have not tried to answer sooner - our crappy COMCAST has been down for 13 hours! My question has to do with what you call the top? I never cut the stem end off so my horizontal halves are like "boats" and I never lose the contents of my boats!
    Oh, ok.  I have been cutting the stem off.