Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

10lb brisket - In progress

Options
Thanks to all who answered my questions about brisket the other day. I started the egg at 8:30 pm, overran temp (290) but let it settle to 270 by 10 when I put brisket on. I trimmed (not sure how well) during the wait, seasoned with salt and pepper (looked like alot of salt, half and half) and put probes into both sides, thicker and thinner. Using egg genius, I let it cook over night (I closed top got it to 250, and made little adjustments until 11pm). By 7 am the stall had pushed through on both ends, and the charcoal ran out (dipped to about 240, i pulled it off shortly after it was 230deg).   Wrapped in foil (probes still in) and put in my oven at 225(it’s convection so auto subtracts 25 degrees from temp). Been sitting in it since, temps are 198 thin side, 192 thick side. 

I figured it would longer than 12 hours, so no need to worry about being done early, but I wanted to know what to do just in case. 

I have pic of seasoned and in seasoned (none cooked though yet, I forgot to take one before wrapping). Will post if interested 

2 questions...  first do cook until the thicker part is 203 and ignore the thin temp?

Second, since the lump burned out the egg genius fan kicked in high and started blowing some of the papery ash around, some landed on the meat, should I be concerned?

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    You will want to pull when it is tender not at a certain temp. You can use a thermo probe,skewer or a toothpick. The idea is to be able to push the probe in with very minimal resistance kinda like cutting warm butter.  You should start checking around 190-195 and every 30 or so mins after.  Most will break loose about 203 or so.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    No worries on the ash-flavour enhancement.  And follow the guidance of @Mattman3969 regarding when to declare victory.  All about the feel.  Once you pull it, make sure to give it a good 15-20 minute cooling rack rest to stop the carry-over cooking before FTC.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GreenEggsAndDave
    Options
    I don’t have Cooler, it’s in the oven at 150. Wrapped in foil

what type of cooler does everyone use?

How much does/ should the internal temp drop while resting?  ( I’m going with a 2 hour rest in oven)

is there anything unsafe I should be aware of?  Don’t want anyone sick. 

Happy Father’s Day to all!  (I got the bge last Father’s Day, made many chickens, pizza, pork, and small brisket, but this is the first time I went full size real long cook )
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    You are good forever at 150*F in the oven.  I have never measured the drop beyond going FTC for almost 6 hours in a low-end Igloo cooler and pulling it out to slice (on demand only-it will dry before your eyes) and it was around 135*F.
    My recollection of conservative food safe is less than 2 hours in the 40-140*F window after cooking. FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    Food is safe for 4 hours at room temp after it has been below 140 (really at room temp).

Any decent cooler works.  Doesn't have to be a high end one.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• GreenEggsAndDave
    Options
    Probably could have pulled it earlier, possibly no heat in oven during rest. Quite tasty, but I think it was to “fall aparty”. Harder to cut a nice slice