Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: An Egghead Goes Camping

Options
2»

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    You have to decide how involved you want your cooks to be, out of your trunk.  I’ve seen some amazing stuff cooked around the campfire, But it takes time and equipment which is fine if that’s the day your want to go.

You may want to leave at least one dinner on the simple side.  Sausages and buns or tortillas, hot dog for the kiddo. If the grill sucks, you can put on a skewer and hold over the fire.  If it’s smoked sausage, even easier.

Agree with whoever said take foil.  Foil, ziplock or two, toilet paper and paper towels or the blue shop towels make everything easier.
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    I picked up this the other day for our overlanding excursions.  

Hermosa Beach CA 
  • damnedhooligan
    Options
    McStew said:
    I picked up this the other day for our overlanding excursions.  

Well now im interested in your rig!

XL BGE with adj rig & woo2

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I love camping. I have done it my entire life. I grew up in a National Forest, and actually got to work with forest rangers, learning much along the way.

A cast iron dutch oven with a reversible lid and a cast iron skillet are two items we always take. I learned to cook over camp fires, and the meals have been wonderful. Chili on a campfire is hard to beat.

Now, I take our minimax with us. It is worth lugging the 70 pound BGE. Steaks, chops ribs...whatever, are done nicely with the egg. But as mentioned previously, I also use the fire pit. I have not read the previous responses, yet, but blackstone makes a small griddle that is also ideal for car camping at a camp site.

Apologies if I am just repeating.

For coffee in the morning we do french press with a Jet Boil.

Jet Boils are great. It has two settings, off and total hell fire. Gets it done in a hurry. Great for altitudes.

Backpacking; the Jet Boil is all we use with dehydrated rations. However I do bring extra seasonings and a small squeeze bottle of sriracha.

It may be primitive, but the food does not have to be.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Whatever you do make sure you have a way to make coffee
    Try the Jet Boil French Press......perfect.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    edited July 2020
    Options
    The trip was a huge success. It was our first time camping as a family of three. I brought 5 cubic feet of almond wood, 5 pounds of lump, and bought another bundle of wood from the campsite. We burned it all! So much fun. I got to play with my new Ferrocerium rod, hatchet, tent, rtic cooler and much more. Cooked every meal over the camp fire.

Here's a couple shots of a chili I cooked last night. It was outstanding.

Mountain View, CA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    northGAcock said:
    Remember, if you go to far off the road, 10 lbs of ice may be 8 lbs if its hot out. 
    ???  I thought that's why all you rich guys paid $450 for a Yeti.... :confused:  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    And am I the only guys who doesn't cook while camping?  I don't do coffee, a couple energy bars, water and an apple are great for breakfast, and sometimes swing by a convenience store for sushi when I'm not backpacking.  Fine grilled food tastes great in the outdoors, but so does room-temp simple things when you've been hiking all day.  Guess I just leave the fine grilling for the backyard...

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Fantastic!!

We like to camp, and have tried to do more of it. Have usually rented a camper in OR, CA, NC, but will be driving now instead of flying. Caliprince is quite into it, as I'm sure your kids will be. Great way to spend time with the family. Screw hotels, and such :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Waited too long and now I can't edit my post but here's the chili recipe:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/06/campfire-chili-in-a-dutch-oven-recipe.html
    Mountain View, CA