Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brand new to the egg plus first cook

Options
Hello guys and gals! I just received my first BGE from my lovely wife and kids for Father’s Day. It’s an xl and man is she pretty. 
First thing I decided to cook was a 7lb pork shoulder roast, corn on the cob, and sautéed veggies. Turned out awesome and the hickory smoke gave it a very bold smoke flavor yet not over powering and man oh man awesome! Lookin forward to getting to know everyone here. 

Comments

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    Yes sir! That is a strong first cook.   Welcome and keep the cooks coming, even the epic fails.  We All Have Them!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Hook_emHornsfan_74 Posts: 1,347
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Welcome and say good bye to your wallet. This forum tends to make you spend the $$. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    Welcome, first at bat and you knocked it out of the park!
    canuckland
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    Quite a debut! Looks great.
    Stillwater, MN
  • JJensen
    JJensen Posts: 58
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments! It was a bit of a redemption for me since the last pork butt I did on my pellet grill ended up dry as heck. Needed something to convince the wife she made a good decision. She loved this 
  • Ike
    Ike Posts: 291
    Options
    Butt looks awesome!  Egg looks way too inexperienced.  Welcome!
    Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.
  • keener75
    keener75 Posts: 392
    Options
    Welcome to the Madness!
    The food looks amazing but I gotta say that the gasket is way too clean. 
    St Marys, Ontario, Canada  LBGE
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    Welcome aboard - excellent first cook!! 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,861
    Options
    Pork and CI skillet on your first tour - welcome aboard my friend, you are amongst friends here. 
    Remember - no pic, then it didn't happen. 
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • Flatfoot
    Flatfoot Posts: 96
    Options
    Congratulations on the Egg and the cook!  Looks great!  Welcome aboard!
    LBGE, MM, & Mini. Weber Smokey Joe for a knockabout. 
    "Honestly, Honey!  Just one more Egg, and one more gun, and I'll be done!"
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Welcome to the forum, and thank you for sharing your first cook.

The XL is a food producing machine, and you are going to have many excellent cooks to follow.

A nickle's worth of free advice; Just go ahead and buy the largest upright freezer you can fit into your home. Certain people in here have several freezers because they went small then bought the next size up, then bought the largest they could find, without turning their garage into a walk-in freezer.

Trust me, the money you were saving for retirement, and college for your children, can easily be rationalized to support the BGE OCD lifestyle.

The total demo and rebuild of our kitchen, to hold everything I purchased for my BGE was my "WTF have I done" moment, a real slap in the face.

That of course followed by the purchase of every cooking accessory even remotely suggested on this forum, as well as ongoing landscaping to provide a better cooking environment.

Worth every penny. Because I will now need it, since I will be working to 85, and my children will not get to college until the are in their mid 40s.

Enjoy the forum, some of the greatest chefs are here.

Have fun.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JJensen
    Options
    @YukonRon  Thank you for the advice! I chuckled at the kitchen part because I’ve somewhat joked with my wife about it. Great minds do think alike after all! 
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    XL was my first egg as well and I am glad I got it! 

Your pork butt looks juicy, juicy, juicy!!! Nailed your first cook for sure!
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    Welcome - nice way to start! Remember, pics or it didn't happen ;)
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• JJensen
    Options
    I can’t wait to be posting more pictures. You guys will probably get of sick of me 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Way come rolling in hot!  Great cook right there.  Congrats.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Options
    Welcome!  That is a first cook to be super-proud of.  Well done...
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,571
    Options
    Welcome and great looking cook
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....