Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rump Roast - Cook to medium rare like roast beef? Or pulled beef like a chuck roast?

Options
Foghorn
Foghorn Posts: 9,842
I went freezer diving and found about a small (3 pounds or so) rump roast - so I pulled it out of the freezer to defrost.  I was hoping for to cook it like a chuck roast or do a pepper stout beef kind of cook.  Would that give a good result if I braise it in enough liquid?  Or should I just go to medium rare and accept that it's a fairly lean cut that should be cooked more like a round steak?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I think either way could work. If you cook to medium rare consider this:
    Brown the outside in a skillet. Then roast in a low oven (225) until the internal temp is about 120 degrees. Then turn the oven off - and let the meat continue to cook in the even lower oven until the internal temp is up to 130-135. 
    The idea is to keep the temps low enough to retain moisture. The cook May take 1 1/2 - 2 hours.  This is an idea I got from America’s Test Kitchen. Full disclosure - I just learned about it and haven’t tried it myself. The concept seems sound however. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I'd stick with mid-rare sliced. I wasn't happy with the last rump I braised. I didn't think it would ever pull and when it finally did there was still a lot of chew.

Good luck with it either way. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Thanks @SciAggie and @GATraveller.

With that said, I’m probably going to try the pepper stout version. Upon defrosting and looking more closely at the cut it has a fair amount of fat and a chunk of bone in it.  It's hard for me to know exactly what cut it is as it is from a private rancher that gave me some meat from his herd that is genetically 1/2 choice angus and 1/2 wagyu.  

We'll see how it turns out.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I love pepper stout beef.  Let us know how it turns out. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Foghorn
    Options

San Antonio, TX

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Seeing the meat I think you are making the best choice. I was envisioning more of an eye of round shape when I made the cooking recommendation. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Foghorn
    Options

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options
    Understood @SciAggie. I figured I had misled you. 
    Thanks for the vote of confidence. 

It’s a very tough cut so far. It probes like shoe leather. We took the “committee” approach combined with the “What is in the refrigerator that we need to use up?” method to decide what to put in the pan with the Guinness Extra Stout - so we have deviated from the pepper stout beef recipe on several levels. 

I’m keeping my expectations low. 

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options

San Antonio, TX

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Looks great.  How was it?
    NOLA
  • Foghorn
    Options
    @buzd504, thanks for asking.

It was very good with two opportunities for improvement.

It was a tough cut and when I pulled it off the bone it was tough and dry so I may not have cooked it optimally - or it may have just not had enough fat.  But when I mixed it in the beer/pepper mixture in small chunks it soaked up the liquid and was quite good - which I suppose is the point.  It's probably better with a chuck roast - and when it's cooked best.

I also think that we could/should have used more peppers - but I got overruled by the rest of the committee.  That won't happen again.

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    You should have let your kids cook it...

Having made that snarky remark, I will say that it looks mighty fine. And very sammich worthy. I'd be all over it. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Foghorn
    edited June 2020
    Options
    @caliking, when I mentioned that we didn’t use enough (or enough variety) of peppers, it was my son who kept that from happening.  
    When SWMBO made suggestions for deviations from the baseline recipe, he suggested we stick to the recipe - except for his changes - which were “improvements”.  
    But usually you’re right. I’ll give you that. 

San Antonio, TX

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    looks mighty delicious from here, beautiful hunk of beef.... in my mind i'll put some on a kaiser roll and melt some cheese on it for a very fine sammy
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • the_crease
    the_crease Posts: 132
    Options
    Outstanding result from an uncertain start!  
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Thanks @blind99 and @the_crease.

We did indeed use some cheese - Gruyere - copying @JRWhitee's recent post - which was a great move.  We went with hamburger buns instead of hoagie rolls - because that's what we had on hand.  I didn't get pics because they got eaten so quickly.  

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options
    Leftover pepper stout rump roast nachos. 

I’m thinking that next time I’ll stick closer to the original recipe. Use chuck roast and not rump. More peppers. More variety of pepper colors and flavors. And maybe one tweak. I might replace some of the beer with chimichurri. Just a thought. 

San Antonio, TX

• Jcl5150
    Jcl5150 Posts: 280
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    @buzd504, thanks for asking.

It was very good with two opportunities for improvement.

It was a tough cut and when I pulled it off the bone it was tough and dry so I may not have cooked it optimally - or it may have just not had enough fat.  But when I mixed it in the beer/pepper mixture in small chunks it soaked up the liquid and was quite good - which I suppose is the point.  It's probably better with a chuck roast - and when it's cooked best.

I also think that we could/should have used more peppers - but I got overruled by the rest of the committee.  That won't happen again.
    Could you please tell me what temp you cooked at and for how long?  I’m going to try one of these tomorrow.  Thanks!
  • Jcl5150
    Options
    Also, what kind of liquid did you use in the pan?
  • Foghorn
    Options
    @Jcl5150, I cooked it at about 275 for about 3 hours until it reaches 165 - then put it in the foil.  On my subsequent time cooking it, I subbed in 4 oz of chimichurri and 4 oz BBQ sauce for 8 oz of the beer.  12 oz of total liquid seems like the right amount.  But subbing out some of the beer for something with more flavor seemed like a step up.  

San Antonio, TX

• Jcl5150
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    @Jcl5150, I cooked it at about 275 for about 3 hours until it reaches 165 - then put it in the foil.  On my subsequent time cooking it, I subbed in 4 oz of chimichurri and 4 oz BBQ sauce for 8 oz of the beer.  12 oz of total liquid seems like the right amount.  But subbing out some of the beer for something with more flavor seemed like a step up.  
    Thanks so much!