Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse Sear Process Opinions / Thoughts

Options
I have an idea I'd like some feedback on before I try it. When doing a reverse sear steak the timing of veggies and whatever else needs to go on can be somewhat challenging. Here's what I want to attempt: at the end of a slow cook put one one or more seasoned steaks on for the low temp run. Remove at the appropriate temp, cool, vac pac, and freeze for future use. When ready; thaw, sous vide at 105 degrees to heat through. Get sides, veggies and whatever on and off then bring the temp up for the sear to finish the steaks. Plan on trying this in the near future but wonder if I'm completely off base. Thanks for the input.

Comments

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    That seems like a lot of work. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    Options
    Since your process already includes sous vide, why not just sous vide with temp for your desired doneness and then sear.  You'll know when your sous vide'd steaks are ready for searing and that'll give you the schedule for your side fixins' That's what I do and it's nice to get perfectly done steaks every time with no worry.

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    1) Welcome aboard.
    2) I don't have a sous vide but I'm not sure what the first low temp cook adds to the process, other than additional effort.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• DainW
    DainW Posts: 159
    Options
    I don’t have a sous vide, but I almost always reverse sear steaks when I cook them. If I’m doing veggies on the grill as well, I’ll usually throw those on while the steak is resting. Veggies shouldn’t take more than 8-10 minutes especially if you’re throwing on a hot grill you just seared a steak on. 8-10 minutes is about right for rest time on a steak. I think with your idea, the issue that I could see running into is that once they veggies are off, they would get cold waiting for the steak to sear and rest. 
  • SonVolt
    Options
    Same. All my veggies go on hot and fast while the meat's resting. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Cook the veggies first then sear the steak. No need to rest the steak. Eat it while it’s still warm - directly off the grill. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• SonVolt
    Options
    and sop up all that pooled steak juice on your plate with a Hawaiian role.