Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egg Table Build...Need Some Finishing Touch Advice

Options
Quite a while ago I started my first egg table build based on this thread https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1157985/cedar-table#latest.  I have used primarily pocket holes to put this thing together, with the exception of the attaching the 2x4 frame to the 4x4's, which I used some large screw-in bolts (no washer/nuts).  I am hoping that this setup will be strong enough. I finally have gotten around to finishing it and am about to put my Large BGE in it.  I have a couple questions that I'd like to get some info about from those of you that are experienced with this.

For the bottom, I bought these ceramic feet for it to sit on.  Will these be good to sit the egg on or do I also need some kind of stone?  Of course I want the right support but I am also concerned about the heat.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CP1MP9J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Another thing I am starting to think about is having some kind of area to sit down hot things and/or to be able to cut things on.  The hot items part is the main priority, but a cutting area would be a nice add-on.  So what kind of suggestions would you have about that?  I have seen a few examples of things from sitting some kind of stone/board on top of the table to ones that people cut an insert into the table top.  I'd rather not cut into the table, at least not right now, because I am just now finishing the thing and want to get it out of my garage and onto my patio.

I just ordered a cover for the whole table and am hoping that it will fit the whole thing.  I did poly the whole cedar table and it will stay outside full-time once I put it out, but I want to keep it covered to that it stays in nice shape.

Thanks.

Comments

• JethroBodeen
    JethroBodeen Posts: 524
    Options
    Those ceramic feet aren't tall enough to run naked under the egg IMO. I would go with a paving stone in addition to the feet.

Assuming your top is all wood, a couple pieces of stone, tile granite etc to set hot stuff on would work. My top is granite and i use a couple scraps of ceramic tile to set stuff on. If your top is wood go for something with some thickness to raise the hot away from the top.
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    Options
    This works great.  Direct on wood or granite.  

Big Green Egg Table Nest | Kamado Joe Table Nest | Heavy Duty Trivet | Primo Table Nest | Vision Grill Table Nest
    Columbus, Ohio
  • jdMyers
    Options
    mk
    Columbus, Ohio
  • djtech2k
    djtech2k Posts: 32
    Options
    Ok, so the ceramic legs are not tall enough to just put them on the wood table?  I can look for some kind of stone to put under, but with that and the ceramic legs, I am concerned it will boost it up too high.  I have the table build with what I thought would be good spacing when using the ceramic legs.

For that trivet thing, will it fit a Large BGE?  I cannot tell from the picture.
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    Options
    https://www.jjgeorgestore.com/jjgeorge-universal-table-nest-heavy-duty-trivet/

BGE recommends about 2in under the egg. BGE also sells something very similar. I would use one or the other. Forget pavers or bricks. They look ugly and you CANNOT rest the egg directly on them. There is still the risk of burning the wood.
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • djtech2k
    Options
    So you are saying there is still a risk if you use a stone/paver?  

Well I already own the ceramic feet but I just ordered that jjgeorge trivet.  I was not planning to buy something else and I wanted to have my Egg cooking on the table this weekend, but more importantly I want it to be safe and done right.  I spent too much time building this table to have it not last a long time or to not be safe.  Based on that, I just ordered that trivet.
  • speed51133
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I am saying JUST a paver is not good protection. There are many examples of burning from sitting the egg on a paver. You want it elevated off the wood about 2in. The little ceramic feet are fine if your egg is on a non-flammable surface like metal or concrete.
  • djtech2k
    Options
    Got it, thanks.
  • speed51133
    Options
    you could do a paver AND the feet, but that looks stupid in my opinion. up to you if you want to cancel your order.
  • JethroBodeen
    JethroBodeen Posts: 524
    Options
    Paver AND feet was my original post stated. Those feet are only about 3/4-1" high. Not enough IMO. I have paver and feet under both my eggs, no issue.
  • Runamuck
    Runamuck Posts: 38
    Options
    My large has been on just those feet in its table for years and never been a problem. Was going  to do the same for my xl.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,367
    Options
    Here's the official word from BGE:

DO NOT PLACE ANY EGG directly on a wood surface or on or near any combustible surface! The bottom of the ceramic vessel does generate significant heat when in use, and may cause combustion if placed directly on – or in proximity to – any combustible material.

DO NOT USE A TABLE NEST TO SUPPORT AN EGG UNLESS THE EGG IS HOUSED WITHIN A TABLE OR AN ISLAND OR OTHER CUSTOM SURROUND! THE LOW-PROFILE TABLE NEST IS NOT DESIGNED OR INTENDED AS A FREE-STANDING SUPPORT for your EGG, and the EGG can tip over if not supported properly. Note that only the Mini and MiniMax have a low-profile Nest or Carrier designed to be used as a free-standing base.

THE EGG IS DESIGNED TO BE USED IN A METAL NEST OR WITH A METAL TABLE NEST, PROVIDING AN AIR GAP BELOW THE EGG – however you must exercise caution and not place an EGG directly over combustible material such as ground cover or an extremely dry wood surface even if using a Table Nest.

Although a concrete paver block (non-porous) or granite tile can be used to support the EGG when housed in a table or built-in, it is recommended that these be sufficiently thick for proper heat protection. For optimum heat protection, a Metal Table Nest placed over a granite tile may be used in combination – this is suggested if the EGG is placed over a wood surface such as a table shelf and is routinely used for long cooks or high temperature cooking. A granite tile is typically not very thick, and will not affect overall height significantly when used with a Metal Table Nest.

PERIODICALLY CHECK THE AREA DIRECTLY BELOW THE EGG to ensure that over time there is no deterioration on the surface under the EGG due to heat transfer. 

IF THE EGG IS INSTALLED IN A TABLE OR ISLAND, IT IS IMPORTANT TO PERIODICALLY CHECK THE GAP AND AREA AROUND THE SIDES OF THE EGG to ensure that over time there is no deterioration of any surface adjacent to the EGG due to heat transfer. THERE MUST BE A SUFFICIENT AIR GAP AROUND THE SIDES OF AN EGG IF INSTALLED IN A TABLE OR BUILT IN! Check this area frequently for any signs of heat transfer.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• djtech2k
    Options
    Ok, so BGE now recommends using a metal nest on top of a granite stone?  

Well, I bought that jjgeorge nest and was hoping to just use that.
  • speed51133
    Options
    they are covering their ass in my opinion. The JJgeorge is adequate, again, in my opinion.....
  • ARoehr11
    ARoehr11 Posts: 41
    Options
    djtech2k said:
    So you are saying there is still a risk if you use a stone/paver?  

Well I already own the ceramic feet but I just ordered that jjgeorge trivet.  I was not planning to buy something else and I wanted to have my Egg cooking on the table this weekend, but more importantly I want it to be safe and done right.  I spent too much time building this table to have it not last a long time or to not be safe.  Based on that, I just ordered that trivet.

This is how I got more space between my egg and the top of my table.  I got a nest and cut the legs off to my desired height.  I now have it sitting on tile in my new backyard, as you can see, but it was originally in a wooden table. This gave me about 3.5 inches clearance and I never had any problem.  When cleaning the egg and rolling around 900-1000 degrees the wood was too hot to touch underneath, but I never had a worry about it burning.
    -1 XL BGE
    -1 Kamado Joe "Joe Jr"
    -1 Traeger Scout 
    -cast iron grate and pans
    -pizza stone
    -XL Adjustable Rig 2 Grid Combo from Ceramic Grill Store
    -A-MAZE-N smoker pellet tray
    -Teken Wireless 4 Probe Thermometer
  • djtech2k
    Options
    @jdMyers @speed51133 So are you guys using just the jjgeorge trivet on a wood table with no stone/paver?  Since I am getting mixed responses here, I wanted to see how the temp has been on your wood table when you do something like a high temp pizza cook or something like that.

I definitely want it to be safe, but I would rather not have to use a stone or paver if I do not have to.  I bought the jjgeorge trivet to not have to do that, but want to get it right the first time.
  • jdMyers
    Options
    I have a granite slab under my large egg.  I had and still have the green feet in a plastic bin now.  During my test i had the egg on green feet on white granite scrap.  600 -700 degree cooks, granite was warm but not hot.  I noticed the green egg feet were pretty shallow.  I switched to a kick ash basket and noticed 2x the heat on the granite.  I put the sewer grste that came with thhe egg on top of the kick ash basket and reduced the hest under the egg on the granite surface.

I switched to the jjgeorge egg nest whixh im using now. It sets taller off the granite allowing more air space.

So for me.  On the jj George and with the stock sewer drain cap with holes the egg came with together sitting directly on leathered side granite slab.  Warm to the touch but definitely not hot.  The jjgeorge nest feet have rubber slip on anti scratch feet that help a little bit as well.  So far 700 no issues and im not concerned with rain on a hot cook either.

Transferred the same thoughts to my pizza oven.  1000 degree temp on raised feet with rubber underneath feet.  The granite Bairly warm to the touch.  If that helps

Columbus, Ohio
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    djtech2k said:
    @jdMyers @speed51133 So are you guys using just the jjgeorge trivet on a wood table with no stone/paver?  Since I am getting mixed responses here, I wanted to see how the temp has been on your wood table when you do something like a high temp pizza cook or something like that.

I definitely want it to be safe, but I would rather not have to use a stone or paver if I do not have to.  I bought the jjgeorge trivet to not have to do that, but want to get it right the first time.
    i helped JJ George do the design for his table nest or trivet and you dont need to put a paver under that nest.  mine sits on wooden table with no issues.  i had the egg up to 800 and it was slightly warm to the touch under neath with the nest installed.  

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• speed51133
    Options
    I use the green egg table nest. Very similar to JJgeorge. I had my XL on a cedar table and did 900F often. No scorch marks ever. I also have a kick ash basket and no "sewer grate".
  • jdMyers
    Options
    Thats the best answer as the table matetials the same
    Columbus, Ohio
  • djtech2k
    Options
    Ok.  I think I may try using just the nest and check the temp when I cook.  Of course a high temp pizza cook is the one I am most concerned about.

I checked my local Lowe's and could not find a thin piece of granite to use as a backup plan.  I do not want to raise the egg with the nest and then a few more inches for a stone of some sort.  I have not sat my egg in the table yet but I did the measurements so that it would sit in there with enough room but not too much.  I'd rather not have it sit up too high if I do not have to.  The shelves in my table are set based on those measurements.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    My table nest sits on a cedar table without a paver of any sort and there has been no discoloration or noticeable heat on the wood table when I've checked. Having said that, I also don't do a ton of high temperature cooks.
    Stillwater, MN
  • djtech2k
    Options
    Ok, so i have to ask about this "kick ash" stuff you guys talk about.  I looked it up and so it is a a basket under the charcoal?  Does that work well?  

My normal process before a cook is to stir up the charcoal, then drag out some ash with the tool, and then put more charcoal in.  The ash removal is not convenient but I guess it could be worse.
  • StillH2OEgger
    edited June 2020
    Options
    To be honest, it's kind of an expensive piece of equipment for what it accomplishes, but I would purchase a KAB again and replace if the need arises. It also allows for most consistent air flow, which I like.
    Stillwater, MN
  • djtech2k
    Options
    Not sure I understand.  

So you are saying that it is expensive but good?  So the charcoal basket helps airflow?  I have obviously not used one of those but considered it in the past. I just did not know if it was worth it or not.
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Yes, it's a simple product that feels like it shouldn't have to cost $80. But, mine has held up well for the 5 or so years I've had it. It's value/necessity certainly differs for different people, but I am definitely glad I purchased it and it is worth it to me.
    Stillwater, MN
  • djtech2k
    Options
    Ok thanks.  

So I looked for a minute and found that not only kick ash, but BGE makes one, and also there is one made by high que.  Do any of you have any experience with these others?  The High Que and BGE seem interesting too.  I find that I get a lot of small charcoal pieces that seem like it would fall thru the bars on the kab.  Just a guess.  The other 2 seem like they may be easier to get out.  
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Lots of KAB threads you can browse on here. I didn't realize High Que made more than a charcoal grate. You can be certain that any accessory with a BGE label is probably not original and will likely cost more than it needs to.
    Stillwater, MN
  • djtech2k
    Options
    I have had my egg for a few years and I agree 100%.  Its like there is a BGE markup.  Nothing costs what you would think it should.
  • djtech2k
    Options
    I emailed the High-Que people and they just said that they no longer have their basket.  That is a bummer because it looked like the best of the 3 I saw.