Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pre-cook Italian Sausage On Pizza?

Options
Do you pre-cook the sausage prior to putting it on the pizza in the egg?  Or if you make the chunks small enough will they cook through?
Lakeville, MN

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I’d probably pre cook the sausage. Pizzas cook in 90-120 seconds in my oven. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • teamunited33
    Options
    Mine take closer to 7 minutes at 550
    Lakeville, MN
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    I cook it 75% of the way

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Back when I still did pizzas, I'd tried it both ways, and never decided on a particular method.
    I'd even tried microwaving my pepperoni wrapped in paper towels; again no decision.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Is better raw. Dredge dime sized pieces of sausage in a bit of flour then chill in the fridge. Pull it out when you are ready to make the pie.

More info (though contradictory opinions): https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ptfsp6e01rrp1ntki7jg946lr7&topic=39063.msg390724#msg390724
    Mountain View, CA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Try it raw.  If you feel it isn't cooked enough, give it a head start.  I'm in the "less work is better" camp.

The only reason I would precook is to get fat out of very fatty sausage.  It will not be raw no matter how hot and fast you cook it.  Also, I'm in the "don't over cook sausage" camp.
    Options
    I learned something new. I never cook pizzas with Italian sausage. This is why this forum is great. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @SciAggie. FYI, Sent you my number.  I stay up late.
    Options
    @SciAggie. FYI, Sent you my number.  I stay up late.
    Very
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    I remove the casing and pre cook.  The pizza order here is a loaded one so that lets me put the cooked sausage near the bottom.

I also like my mushrooms well done, so I pre cook those also.

Pizza is on the menu for today.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,657
    Options
    I used to precook and read here that there is no need.  I noticed absolutely no difference other than I don’t have to clean another pan. I cook pies at 550 in the oven.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    As a topping, yes pre cook and drain grease. If in a deep dish, don’t precook. Your cook time and temp are lower and will cook along with your pie. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    Options
    I precook sausage very hot in one large thin patty, then break it as I am making the pizza. This accomplishes two things: much better browning, and less oil leeching out of the sausage inhibiting a nice thin crust. 
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Dang @Carolina Q that pie looks amazing!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Dang @Carolina Q that pie looks amazing!
    Thank you. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    The main advantage to pre cook, is you get to eat some sausage while everything is being prepared.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)