Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Outdoor Kitchen Help

Options
I'm building a new home and it's almost time for me to lock down my outdoor kitchen. I'm leaning towards stone with some form of element resistant counter top.  Has anyone built one recently and have and advise? Thanks

Comments

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,431
    Options
    Covered or uncovered? We added a 40x25 on recently. Covered. Built in gasser, burner
    and sink. egg in nest for portability. cabinet bodies are brick with Cypress doors. Grainite countertops 
  • GrillnTX
    GrillnTX Posts: 65
    Options
    Covered. I'm also having built in gasser, sink, draws/trash bin but not keeping egg in Nest. 
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    Options
    concrete counter?
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • GrillnTX
    GrillnTX Posts: 65
    Options
    Was thinking more of a stone like a granite. Am looking for something completely maintenance free and that I can put a 800 degree stone on directly (if such a counter-top material exists)
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    Options
    Well just going thru all kinds of hail and also just finishing I have my .03 cents.  I pray it helps.  Mine is not covered.  Its stone with granite.  Gasser grill,  Egg on shelf.  Drawer for charcoal, cabinets under grill for access,  separate gas dual flame burner,  fridge, pizza oven.  No sink.  Ohio winterizing not worth it.  Ilive in a city environment.  Ran 1 inch yellow pex gas line from meter around back to gas fire pit.  Ran separate 1 inch gas line from meter around passed firepit to other side to grill station.  At meter have shutoff manifold with separate regulator for house and out side.  

Under grill have main shut off to a smaller manifold on/off gas line for grill and burners.  If I have to work on one side I can still use the other.  Works well.  

Consider electric and what will be connected.  # of circuits.  Since your running electric add any near the grass for other crap.  Consider speaker wires, stereo lines, out door lighting lines, and a pull string to add others.  Honestly I know its not what you asked but i redug my trench 4 times.  

Ref egg.  Get a steel egg nest for flat counters to raise it up enuff to keep from cracking granite.  No one tells you that warm granite thats good enuff cracks when the rain hits it.  So elevated a little more is better.  The green feet are to low and too close.  

Www.jjgeorge.com for example of egg nest for flat counters.  I have a kick ash basket but also left the stock floor drain in.  Theres a huge underneath the egg temp diff on the granite with it.  My pizza oven runs 900 degree easy and so far so good.  I Put rubber feet under the metal ones to be safe.  Setting egg directly on granite not wise.  Directly on congrete will heat stain it and also possinle crack it.  But elevated with under air flow generally will not.  Sorry so long just dont want you going thru what i did because i forgot stuff

Jd.

Columbus, Ohio
  • PSC1
    PSC1 Posts: 7
    Options
    granite countertop FTW