Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boos Block

Options
2»

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,671
    Options
    @CTMike That is a nice hobby!  The board looks nice and feet is a good idea.  I have a smaller one that lives on the counter top but it is not end grain.  Can’t have it all 🤷‍♂️

It gets daily use and is overdue for a good sanding session.

Options
    Rather than spending money on a Boos Block, I would look into having something custom made. For my brother's 70th birthday, I purchased a carving board from Eric Albrecht. At the party, one of the guests stated that it was much nicer than her Boos, Also, instead of the side saying Boos, it has my brother's name.

I also have a cutting board that he made. I expect that both are better quality and more unique that a factory made board.

LBGE, Stoker WiFi, UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    CTMike said:
    gmanrva said:
    CTMike said:
    I am getting in to the hobby of making end-grain boards for a side gig. Currently have this 13.5x24x2” solid walnut that just needs final sanding and finishing. 

If you really want to take care of your boards, make yourself some board butter - 1 part pure beeswax to 4 parts food grade mineral oil. Heat just enough to melt the wax, mix, and let cool. 

Also if you have thick board that has gotten wet, put it on a rack to dry, otherwise you might wake up in the morning to warps or splits. Many larger boards are meant to be one-sided and have rubber feet on the reverse to allow for even drying. That’s how I intend to make them.

@CTMike are you selling them yet? Looks really nice.
    Not quite yet. This one will likely stay in the house as the glue up lines aren’t perfect. If you’d like, when I have some to sell I can send you a PM. 
    Please do. I'm interested as well.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    Options
    I honestly do not think there is anything special about Boos. Yes they are quality, but so are countless others. They are really not that hard to make. I would sooner buy one off of Etsy or a local farmer market guy. Just take care of it. Thicker is better in my opinion. Make sure the guy stands behind the work. If it doesn't warp or crack in the first few months I would say the maker did everything right. Dont throw it in the dishwasher and never let it soak.
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • gmanrva
    gmanrva Posts: 424
    Options
    CTMike said:
    gmanrva said:
    CTMike said:
    I am getting in to the hobby of making end-grain boards for a side gig. Currently have this 13.5x24x2” solid walnut that just needs final sanding and finishing. 

If you really want to take care of your boards, make yourself some board butter - 1 part pure beeswax to 4 parts food grade mineral oil. Heat just enough to melt the wax, mix, and let cool. 

Also if you have thick board that has gotten wet, put it on a rack to dry, otherwise you might wake up in the morning to warps or splits. Many larger boards are meant to be one-sided and have rubber feet on the reverse to allow for even drying. That’s how I intend to make them.

@CTMike are you selling them yet? Looks really nice.
    Not quite yet. This one will likely stay in the house as the glue up lines aren’t perfect. If you’d like, when I have some to sell I can send you a PM. 
    Please do Mike. Thanks
    LGE Mechanicsville Va, XLGE Wake Va., LGE Duck NC.
    Formely Gman2 before password debacle