Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boos Block

gmanrva
gmanrva Posts: 424
I'm thinking about getting a new cutting board. I hear the Boos are nice, any of you have any recommendations? I would like something about 15x20 with a liquid groove. Pros/Cons, other good quality brands? Thanks in advance for your input.
LGE Mechanicsville Va, XLGE Wake Va., LGE Duck NC.
Formely Gman2 before password debacle 

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Greenriverwoods on Etsy. Much nicer than boos and you get custom boards not everyone has. https://www.etsy.com/shop/GreenRiverWoods?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=194503067
  • gmanrva
    Thanks @Lit I will check it out.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    I have an 18x18x4 Boos. No liquid channel, but it takes a beating. Easily one of my better purchases. Love it 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    I have one boos and two greenriverwoods from Etsy. If you like cooking, the greenriverwoods boards are a joy to use.
    Mountain View, CA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,943
    I have 3 Boos blocks. One with a liquid channel and two without.

First, keep them oiled.  I have had issues with one warping and gaps appearing in seams.

I like the liquid channel for cutting meats and scraping scraps off into the channel while prepping food.

I dislike the channel because it gets in the way when prepping smaller food like garlic, or when I am doing horizontal cuts on onions.  I tend to work close to the edge of my boards and the one without the channels works better for that.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 900
    I have the Boos 12x18x1.5 with a groove. Reversible (although the other side is not grooved). Maple wood and still in great condition after six years of almost daily use. I just wipe it down with a bit of mineral oil whenever it starts looking a bit dried out. Reasonably priced, and hard to beat.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,943
    OhioEgger said:
    I have the Boos 12x18x1.5 with a groove. Reversible (although the other side is not grooved). Maple wood and still in great condition after six years of almost daily use. I just wipe it down with a bit of mineral oil whenever it starts looking a bit dried out. Reasonably priced, and hard to beat.
    Best of both worlds!  My grooved board has a finger lip for lifting it up, so you could reverse it, but it still has the distance from edge problem caused by the groove. I would not recommend mine if they have reversible ones without that bottom finger edge.  However, I did get this one for $30 from TJ Maxx.

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 900
    Best of both worlds!  My grooved board has a finger lip for lifting it up, so you could reverse it, but it still has the distance from edge problem caused by the groove. I would not recommend mine if they have reversible ones without that bottom finger edge.  However, I did get this one for $30 from TJ Maxx.
    Agreed. I wouldn't like that either. Paid something over $50 for mine a while back, but well worth it. You can see the indent in the side of the short end for grabbing it to pick up.

Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    My Boos board is easily 20 years old. I abuse the crap out of it.

Haven't oiled it in a decade. 

It has a slight warp on one side, no biggie.

They are built to last, even for a Boo-abuser like me.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • 2HB
    2HB Posts: 19
    My Boos board warped, but I still like it. On the other hand, I have had a Larchwood cutting board for about 5 years, and it has been outstanding. The end grain really does resist cut-marks. It still looks like new after frequent daily use, and it has beautiful functional touches like the screw-in rubber feet. I highly recommend this board:

https://www.larchwoodcanada.com/
  • AprèsSki
    AprèsSki Posts: 131
    Had a Boos for years, oiled it regularly, took the sander to it at least once a year and then it cracked down the seam. (Mind you, I live where we complain about humidity when it reaches double digits.)

I then pulled out an end cut maple board that was a wedding gift and never looked back. Spend the money for the end cut hardwood, weighs an effing ton though. 
    Firing up my XL Big Green Egg, KJ Jr. or Weber gasser in Salt Lake City
  • LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 456
    Love my Boos board. It was a wedding gift in 1975 and has been used daily. 
    IL 
  • gmanrva
    Great advise so far and thanks, keep them coming. The greenriverwoods that @lit suggested looks like art work and are priced pretty steep but you pay for what you get and i am not opposed to it by no means. I am thinking maybe getting a nice large greenriverwoods and a smaller 12x12 Boos for small jobs like garlic, onions, tomatoes for easy clean up.
  • Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 632
    Had my Boos for 15 years at least. Oil it on a rare occasion. The thing is a beast.

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Just to throw out another option.  If you are using premium knives and looking for a board to help maintain the edge of you knife, see this link

https://www.echefknife.com/?s=Cutting+board&post_type=product&dgwt_wcas=1

Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • JethroBodeen
    JethroBodeen Posts: 523

$20! cant beat it!
  • tisoypops
    tisoypops Posts: 267
    @JethroBodeen where the f*&# did you get that for $20??
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I really like my Boos

Whatever butcher block you decide make sure you take the time to condition every so often. (Dont forget to condition the bottom as well. Some will forget and it will stress the rest of the board if you don't)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • GabeD
    GabeD Posts: 21
    Another vote for Boos. I have two, both Christmas presents from the wife on different years. The first was 24x18. While very cool and great for a charcuterie, it was too large for a daily use cutting board. It comes out for parties or for assembling pizzas.

The next Christmas she got me an 18x 12 which is a perfect daily driver.

I try to keep them oiled and waxed after reading a lot of Amazon reviews about splitting. The smaller one is probably due...
  • JethroBodeen
    JethroBodeen Posts: 523
    tisoypops said:
    @JethroBodeen where the f*&# did you get that for $20??
    Junk shop in Va. I couldn't believe it either!
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,204
    All of my current boards are white UHMPE. They have a great feel and are easy to clean. I have an 18 x 24 that gets pulled out for big jobs. I can't imagine cleaning a big wooden version. That said, I'd love one of those 12 x 18 Boos boards
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • GabeD
    GabeD Posts: 21
    Teefus said:
    I have an 18 x 24 that gets pulled out for big jobs. I can't imagine cleaning a big wooden version.
    Yes, it can be a pain to clean the thing. It weighs almost 20lbs and is a tight fit in the sink. It usually is very last in the cleanup process. You also have to be very careful to not drop it and dent the sink or break your foot!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    bought the 48 inch boos 21 years ago, dont regret it

30 Black Work Table

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    edited June 2020
    I never wash my blocks. I just rub them down with a soapy rag then a wet rag. I am too afraid of splitting. I also oil them occasionally. I also prefer end grain, easier on knives,
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    My boards from Greenriverwoods. I also have a larger edge grain boos I used for breads but it’s has been splitting for years so I only use it for dry goods.
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    CTMike said:
    I am getting in to the hobby of making end-grain boards for a side gig. Currently have this 13.5x24x2” solid walnut that just needs final sanding and finishing. 

If you really want to take care of your boards, make yourself some board butter - 1 part pure beeswax to 4 parts food grade mineral oil. Heat just enough to melt the wax, mix, and let cool. 

Also if you have thick board that has gotten wet, put it on a rack to dry, otherwise you might wake up in the morning to warps or splits. Many larger boards are meant to be one-sided and have rubber feet on the reverse to allow for even drying. That’s how I intend to make them.

Beautiful!
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Lit said:
    My boards from Greenriverwoods. I also have a larger edge grain boos I used for breads but it’s has been splitting for years so I only use it for dry goods.
    Love the unique grain patterns!
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • gmanrva
    CTMike said:
    I am getting in to the hobby of making end-grain boards for a side gig. Currently have this 13.5x24x2” solid walnut that just needs final sanding and finishing. 

If you really want to take care of your boards, make yourself some board butter - 1 part pure beeswax to 4 parts food grade mineral oil. Heat just enough to melt the wax, mix, and let cool. 

Also if you have thick board that has gotten wet, put it on a rack to dry, otherwise you might wake up in the morning to warps or splits. Many larger boards are meant to be one-sided and have rubber feet on the reverse to allow for even drying. That’s how I intend to make them.

@CTMike are you selling them yet? Looks really nice.
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    gmanrva said:
    CTMike said:

@CTMike are you selling them yet? Looks really nice.
    Not quite yet. This one will likely stay in the house as the glue up lines aren’t perfect. If you’d like, when I have some to sell I can send you a PM. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT.