Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st pizza in a new oven - lots 2 learn

Options
jdMyers
jdMyers Posts: 1,336
edited May 2020 in Off Topic
So first full temp burn with actual cook.  Just getting oven up to tenp was a learning curve but got it finally.  The pizza tools, peels, brush, small round turning peel etc,   I sooo get it now.  I opted for the 47 inch handles.  I felt 60 inch would just be over kill.  Hail naw.  Wish id listened.  The longer handles would have made life easier. Had problems on wax paper with wind flipping paper everywhere.  Tried directly on the granite and had so much trouble getting pies onto the perforated peel.  Smh.

Anyway. Mom came into town just in time for the 1st pie. 

Columbus, Ohio

Comments

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    looking good from here
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,661
    Options
    keep us posted man that oven looks awesome. Also, hopefully your using parchment paper not wax paper.  glad to see you enjoying your new kitchen!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Whoa!  Nice.  What brand of oven did you end up buying?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • jdMyers
    Options
    Thanks for the tips.  Learned wax paper allows you to thro the ingredients off the pie perfectly.  The oven is a Forno Alfa 4. Couldnt complain.  Free shipping, tax  free,  and 25% off discount.  It is super heavy.  Eats wood like its a beaver.  1st day 1st burn mistake.  Wood starters were pine.  Almost had a mess of sap.  
    Columbus, Ohio
  • tisoypops
    tisoypops Posts: 267
    Options
    Where did you get the oven? I’ve been seeing more and more ovens on around but every time I do a search, nothing comes up. Nothing available.  What am I missing?
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • jdMyers
    edited May 2020
    Options
    outdoor wood fired pizza oven.  I got this one from bbq authority in Illinois.  Came in a crate by truck.  Arrived in 2 days.  Tax free, and free shipping.  I asked if they iffered any discounts.  AAA, AARP, Government, Military....  and before I finished she said 1st responder fits.  Didnt ask for anytthing else.  If that sentence helps.  They had several styles and brands of ovens.  I wanted a 
    fontana forni bellagio pizza oven.  It was slightly bigger amd black outer shell worked better.   Now i realize doesnt matter, pizza cooks so fast you cant manage a bigger oven.  Saved more money. .  Took 5 to move it

Columbus, Ohio
  • tisoypops
    Options
    I gotcha. I live near Houston so it could just be a matter of where i live that is the problem. 455 lbs......dayum
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • jdMyers
    Options
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    You are all killing me with your full size WFO.  Congrats and enjoy it!  Try with lots of semolina directly on the granite to prevent sticking.  Also add semolina on a wooden peel (sprinkle everywhere and then even it out/remove excess with your hand). Haven’t experienced sticking sine I switched to a wooden peel.

Options
    Apparently you're a google wizard or I'm just a moron.  Haha thanks for that. Gonna check this place out for sure.
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • jdMyers
    Options
    Paqman thanks.  
    Columbus, Ohio
  • tisoypops
    Options
    @paqman
    what do you have?
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    tisoypops said:
    @paqman
    what do you have?
    Roccbox

Options
    love it
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,108
    Options
    Awesome!  Thanks for sharing, especially your trials.  All the little problems you experienced makes me feel better, that is how my cooks always go.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    I never understood why people build a pie on the counter then move it to a peel, or use parchment, both unnecessary steps that only complicate things.  Learn how to use a wooden peel, just takes a dusting of flour then build the pie directly on it & flick that thing in there in a nanosecond.  Once it's in & set you can manipulate it all you want and or remove it with the mile long metal peel.
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • jdMyers
    Options
    Im learning.  My wooden peel was way too short.  Had the metal one much longer
    Columbus, Ohio
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    I also don't recommend using parchment. It's a crutch that prevents you from getting a proper feel for handling the dough and improving your pizza game. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • jdMyers
    Options
    Its a learning curve for sure.  Not ready to toss dough by any means but dont need a rolling pin either
    Columbus, Ohio
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited June 2020
    Options
    As long as you let the dough balls relax long enough they are super easy to handle and stretch by hand. If it's aggressively snapping back as you pull it then it hasn't rested (at room temp) long enough. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave