Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP: brisket question (fire out overnight)

Options
Hello all, so I am attempting my first brisket and am worried I completely messed it up. Here are the basic facts:

-15 pound prime brisket from Costco, trimmed a couple pounds off
-I lit the egg around 9:45 last night, and let it completely stabilize until 11:00. It had been locked in at about 250° for 45+ minutes. 
-I put the brisket on straight from the fridge around 11-11:15
-Dome temp dropped to 225° when I put it on, which seemed norma due to the huge piece of cold meat I just put on, same thing happens with all of my pork butts but never a problem long-term if it was stabilized before 
-Stayed up until 12:30 and temp never moved from 225° during that hour plus
-Messed up my alarm to wake up around 3:30 to check and woke up on my own at 6:30 and looked out to see my egg at zero and the fire out (burned a hole straight down, never had that happen to me before)
-IT was about 80 when I went to bed (it was moving fairly quickly compared  to what I was expecting). IT was at 110° at 6:30. 
-Immediately relit and had it at 275° by 6:45

So the question is, do I need to toss it?? I don’t care about it coming out dry, etc but from the food safety side. My father-in-law got it for me to cook for us and them so I will feel terrible if I blew it. My 6 year old would also be eating it. 

Raleigh, NC

LBGE

Comments

• UNCHeels08
    UNCHeels08 Posts: 116
    Options
    Also after an hour back on the IT is already back up to 145°. Don’t know if that’s a good or bad sign for it being at 110° when I woke back up. 
    Raleigh, NC

LBGE
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    I'd press on.  While we know that you want to minimize the time between 40 and 140, the truth is, the inside of the meat is sterile - and there is always a few hours on the way up where you are between those temps.  Because the meat was at 110, you know the fire wasn't out long enough to let it get to room temp.  So, I'd press on.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,344
    Options
    Keep on Truckin. It's fine 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Options
    I wouldn’t worry about the fire doing out for that brief a time with those internal temps.  You’re going to be more concerned about replicating the results when it’s the best first brisket ever!  Post pix when it’s done!
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • UNCHeels08
    Options
    Just wrapped in the stall. My wife is saying she and the kid won’t be eating it so not sure what I’m going to do yet lol. But it’s looking good. 
    Raleigh, NC

LBGE
  • UNCHeels08
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    I'd press on.  While we know that you want to minimize the time between 40 and 140, the truth is, the inside of the meat is sterile - and there is always a few hours on the way up where you are between those temps.  Because the meat was at 110, you know the fire wasn't out long enough to let it get to room temp.  So, I'd press on.

I should have mentioned that I injected it with some beef broth (was following Amazing Ribs’ method). Which I wish I hadn’t done now since that means a lot of holes poked in it to the inside. 
    Raleigh, NC

LBGE