Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Controller update from Stoker - Flame Boss or Signals?

Hi guys - Sorry if I am asking a repetitive question. It's been a long time since I've been active on the forum, but it has ALWAYS been a fantastic source of information and helped me get started and really up my game cooking on the Egg.

I have had a Stoker controller for years, but I see it's been unsupported for a while now. I can still get it to work, but it's definitely kind of temperamental now.

What do people consider the best controller these days? I am inclined towards a Flame Boss or Signals based on what I had read. I have really been impressed with my other Thermoworks products.

Is there a controller that has figured out how to carefully ramp up a newly started cooker? One thing that was really lacking on the Stoker was this startup period. I could really only add the Stoker once I had the cooker within about 15 degrees of my desired temperature. Otherwise it would run the fan constantly and the fire would become an inferno, light all my wood chunks and create bad tastes, etc...

Multi-cooker control would be nice option. Wifi connection with app is desirable. Ability to see progress and maybe make changes from outside wifi range is nice but not must-have for me.

Quality components and reliability more important to me than having every convenience feature. Stoker wasn't fancy, but everything was pretty rugged and utilitarian and it's lasted me pretty well. It's good to be posting on the forum again!

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    FB 500 ( I used a stoker for years ) that being said being said I've had no issues with either ramping up from the get go....On my eg I do light with a chimney full of lump and that may be why no issues...On my Stumps XL stretch I use the FB from a cold start and it ramps perfectly 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • NJKel
    NJKel Posts: 13
    Thanks, lkapigian. You've been happy with the build quality? That's the main thing that you can't really tell my browsing online.

I was spot-lighting my lump with a torch after completely loading my firebox with charcoal and wood chunks and maybe that was a main factor in my trouble. Growing the fire took a long time. Maybe putting in a hot chimney of coals and then closing it in the egg would reduce the steepness of that climb and then you're just waiting for clean good-smelling smoke. Thanks! In your method, do you pre-load some lump and wood chunks and then load your lit chimney charcoal on top of that and some more lump and wood chunks on top of that?

As usual, the forum exceeds expectations :) 
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    I would certainly add the new BBQ Guru Ultra to your list for consideration. I don’t own one (I have a Smobot) but it looks very nice and is competitively priced. 
    New Orleans LA
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    NJKel said:
    Thanks, lkapigian. You've been happy with the build quality? That's the main thing that you can't really tell my browsing online.

I was spot-lighting my lump with a torch after completely loading my firebox with charcoal and wood chunks and maybe that was a main factor in my trouble. Growing the fire took a long time. Maybe putting in a hot chimney of coals and then closing it in the egg would reduce the steepness of that climb and then you're just waiting for clean good-smelling smoke. Thanks! In your method, do you pre-load some lump and wood chunks and then load your lit chimney charcoal on top of that and some more lump and wood chunks on top of that?

As usual, the forum exceeds expectations :) 
    I am happy with the quality,it is not metallike the stoker but not an issue...I load lump and wood leaving enough for me to dump a chimney on top and coming to just under the plate setter.... I really only use a controller on my Stumps now and run the Egg without anything, found (for me) it really is not needed , it's just peace of mind, my Stumps would take forever to warm and recover from opening without it ( its about 27 cubic feet inside )
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian