Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vacation grilling

KGilma2018
KGilma2018 Posts: 120
The wife and I are going to rent a cabin at Dale Hollow lake this weekend.  It will have a weber kettle grill.  1 night I am just going to make some burgers, and the other I want to smoke / grill 1/2 a chicken.  Not much experience with the weber but my plan for the smoke is load the charcoal w/ a couple chunks of Cherry and use a pizza stone that broke in half to block the heat and cook it indirect for a little while until I throw it down direct to finish.  Sound like a good plan, or anyone have suggestions?
Franklin, TN

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    FWIW load the coals on One Side of the kettle and go indirect with the Chicken and direct with the Burgers....Put the Lid Vent opposite the coals 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Went to DH a couple of times when I was a kid. LOVED that place! To this day, I've never seen water that color.

For the chicken, I'd just put the coals on one side of the fire grate and the bird on the opposite side of the cooking grate. Move it over the coals to finish.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• KGilma2018
    KGilma2018 Posts: 120
    lkapigian said:
    FWIW load the coals on One Side of the kettle and go indirect with the Chicken and direct with the Burgers....Put the Lid Vent opposite the coals 
    sorry should have been clearer, burgers will be direct all the way... shouldn't even mention them it wasn't really relative to the question anyway.  
    Franklin, TN
  • RiverBBQ
    RiverBBQ Posts: 191
    Look up the snake method. I made some fairly respectable ribs in a kettle while camping (egg not very portable).  I did use pizza stone also. Line charcoal around perimeter, smoke wood periodically, light one end and sit back!  Again, not egg quality but good.
    You can’t get to Loganville, Ga from anywhere. You have to start somewhere else