Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

O.T. Vacuum Sealer machines

Options
jdMyers
jdMyers Posts: 1,336
edited April 2020 in Off Topic
What type of vacuum sealer machines are folks using.  I had a 10 year old one that finally broke as my wife flung it across the kitchen by accident.  After a lot of research I settled on the food saver big game vac machine for $80.00 new.  Its probably not the v2 model but I love this thing.  80 seals back to back no hiccup.  Re organized the freezer multiple bag sizes, and 3 button operation.  close, seal or vac n seal, and a manual cutter.  Came with 12v cord for car operations.  Camper yes.   Big 4 bone rib roast it lifted it off the counter pulling out the air.  Wet/dry removable drip tray

Columbus, Ohio

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You did 80 seals back to back with no overheat issues? 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Vacmaster VP215  Love it!
    Options
    @nolaegghead those things are awesome! I wanted one in the worst way when I replaced my last sealer a few months ago, but I didn’t wanna sacrifice the counter space or the $900. 

Used the last of my CC points and got a Cabela’s Commercial Grade Sealer. Seems pretty good so far. I’ve put a lot of regular meats, groceries, sous vide bags, etc. Also did about 50 lbs of sausage in 1lb packages, almost back to back. Worked like a charm. 
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    I've just got my first standalone freezer and now I'm looking at vacuum sealers too.

Can someone with a sealer explain their workflow?

I'm curious if you freeze mostly raw or mostly cooked products?

Do you vacuum seal stuff not destined for the freezer? What?

Thanks.
    Mountain View, CA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @CornfedMA

I've wanted one forever and I saw it new on woot! For $490 free shipping and pulled the trigger.  Bought 1000 bags, too
    Options
    Workflow in my case.  Lift lid unroll length of bag.  Press seal.  Slide cutter and remove bag.  Other end is open insert product.  Lay bag on sealer.  Close lid and lock.  Pres vac n seal.  Wait 20 seconds.  All done.
    Columbus, Ohio
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    dmourati said:

Thanks.
    I have several glass one quart jars in the pantry with various items in them under vacuum. Spices, beans, bread crumbs.   I have some copies of important paper documents in vac bags included in my hurricane recovery supplies. I have some spare parts under vac on my garage shelves for rust protection. I also have an old silverware set in vac bags in storage.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• jetman96
    jetman96 Posts: 127
    Options
    dmourati said:

Generally speaking, big stuff is vac-sealed after cooking, smaller stuff before. There's only two of us, so I'll do a butt, ham, or brisket, then vac-seal in 1 lb increments and put in deep freeze. For smaller items, like chicken breast, thighs, legs, ground meats, etc., I'll vac-seal and freeze in meal size increments. Works great, especially being stuck at home all of the time now.
    Tip for sealing: make sure you roll the opening over an inch or two before putting food in bag. Wash/rinse off your hands, then roll up the rest of the way and seal. Keeps the sealing surface clean.

Cincinnati, OH
    Large BGE
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Options
    For us, we use our vacuum sealer to seal raw protein headed for the freezer and also for cash headed to our safe. 
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I have a foodsaver that's been unremarkable recently. Might be time for a new one.

Just ask @nolaegghead what he really uses that vacmaster for.....
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    @CornfedMA

I've wanted one forever and I saw it new on woot! For $490 free shipping and pulled the trigger.  Bought 1000 bags, too
    You know you are in deep when you lust after another man’s chamber sealer. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    edited May 2020
    Options
    dmourati said:
    I've just got my first standalone freezer and now I'm looking at vacuum sealers too.

Can someone with a sealer explain their workflow?

Thanks.
    afraid to use my vp215 (too sucky?)

canuckland